Is it worth upgrading

andy.c

Standard Member
Reaction score
We currently have the Samsung UE46H7000 that is used mainly for TV (Sky Q) with the occasional streaming of either Netflix or Amazon and playing of the Playstation 4 again not serious gaming.

I have been looking at buying a 55 inch 4K TV as this is the biggest we can go and would require being mounted on the chimney breast rather than the current position between the chimney and the bay window wall.

The way the lounge is set up we sit between 2.5m and 3.5m away from the TV.

Reading all the questions and answers that have been posted am i wasting my time upgrading to a 55 inch as we will be to far away from the TV to get the full effect of 4K.

I have been looking at the Sony 9005 or possibly going OLED with the LG B7.

Your thoughts please on keeping put with my current TV or whether i would see a marked improvement on PQ changing to one of the above TV's of alternatives.

Many thanks
Andy

LG B7 is the obvious choice although I would be reluctant to upgrade at all without a plethora of HDR sources.

Especially that far from the TV, since UHD itself is largely going to be irrelevant.

Thanks for the response dodgexander just as I thought we would be sitting to far away from the TV to get the full benefit of 4K.
Instead of spending money on the 2 Tv''s mentioned earlier can I get a decent 55 inch HD TV for around 600 pounds to tide us over and then wait a couple of years for more content to be in 4K or are all 55 inch 4K
.or do I just bite the bullet and by a 4K and know that I am not going to get the best pq from where we are sitting.

Cheers

Well it depends, its a measure of how much you value HDR looking good. I would say buying a cheaper TV isn't going to be worth it because your current model is very good, if you do buy, get the B7, if you don't, just keep what you have until there is more HDR about.

The OLED will make anything HD look better than on your existing TV, but you might find the SD stuff so, so. If you want to spend as much as that and you mostly watch HD stuff or over it makes sense to get the OLED now. You'll be eager to pair it with lots of HDR sources though because its with new sources where it will really shine!

If you have Netflix and Amazon you’ll be able to access some HDR content. I find that’s enough until I feel UHD blu-ray is cheaper. Hopefully BBC will give us some more via iPlayer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom