Is it worth upgrading Vista?

goldeneye243

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is worth upgrading from Vista Home premium to windows 7 and if so, would 32bit or 64bit be best?

I have got a Core 2 E6600 2.4GHZ and 4gb of Ram.

Any input gratefully received....

Just wondering if it is worth upgrading from Vista Home premium to windows 7 and if so, would 32bit or 64bit be best?

I have got a Core 2 E6600 2.4GHZ and 4gb of Ram.

Any input gratefully received....
Difficult one to call really. As a reviewer commented it's really a bit of swizz MS calling Windows '7' as it isn't really 'a whole new release'. All MS have done is remove some of the clunkiness of Vista, make '7' a bit more user friendly, and, well, that's it really.

It is 'easier' to use than Vista, and if I were upgrading from XP, I would recommend it rather than Vista, but if you've got used to Vista, I would strongly recommend checking '7' out before buying.

If you like what you see, there's your answer.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I had no real issues with Vista, but decided to go for the prerelease offer of Win7 HP for £45 anyway :rolleyes: . OK so I work in IT and like to keep up to date with the new OS and was running the Win7 RC anyway before the official release, but IMO as I had no issues with Vista there are very few advantages in general use with Win7. Therefore I would probably stick with Vista and save a few quid on the new OS. But then again the preorder copy of Win7 is the full retail version so I can always delete it from my PC and install it on another if required and just move everything back to the Vista boot ( I dual boot Vista & Win7 now, but haven't been back to Vista since getting everything copied across :facepalm: ).
The one advantage I did have with the upgrade is that I am now running a 64bit OS and if you do decide to upgrade I see no advantages of staying with a 32bit OS unless you don't have 64bit compliant hardware - none of my older software has any issues with Win7 64bit.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, that's good advice. I'm in the same position that you were in (have the pre-order of Win7 but not yet installed it).

Unfortunately, I only downloaded the 32-bit Release Candidate, so haven't been able to sample 64-bit before unwrapping and installing the bought version. :facepalm:

If by now you know all the shortcomings of Vista and it meets your requirements then why waste money? I believe there's a service pack coming out shortly. For me, my only application is for HTPC/PVR and W7MC is far superior to VistaMC.

Firstly considering you have 4gb ram I would suggest getting 64bit no doubt about it since 32bit only recognises around 4gb and graphics cards are included in the limit.

I pre orderd windows 7 home premium retail which worked out about £35 and definatly was worth it, now considering it's £75 it's not really something i would buy for no real difference.

good points it crashes less, smoother and nicer to look at, but thats about it.

If by now you know all the shortcomings of Vista and it meets your requirements then why waste money? I believe there's a service pack coming out shortly. For me, my only application is for HTPC/PVR and W7MC is far superior to VistaMC.

Which is the main reason why I have just invested in Win7.

That I can also watch BBC HD on the HTPC easier, though need to chase up why my sat card isnt working, not sure if it is the card or the feed. Need to confirm/check that this weekend hopefully

Adrian

At my work the IT support centre hated Vista and prefered XP, but since 7 has been released they have tested it and started rolling it out. So it must be worth it.

At my work the IT support centre hated Vista and prefered XP, but since 7 has been released they have tested it and started rolling it out. So it must be worth it.
As people above have said, there's not much difference between Vista and Windows 7 - so what does that tell you about your IT Support Center? ;)

A difference is that hardware is more powerful than it was a few years ago. Anyone trying to run Vista on an older PC running XP was always going to be disappointed. Also, driver support is much improved now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom