1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth upgrading to..........

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Supernosh, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I currently have a Marantz SR4200 and it works pretty well with my new speaker and DVD setup.

I have been looking at buying the Pioneer 2011 but with supply issues and a lack of cash I'm not sure.

I had a thought that I could buy an interim amp and look at upgrading that in 6 months or so.

I wanted to know what your thoughts on upgrading to either a Denon 1803 or 2803? I am only interested in movies by the way.

Is it worth geting rid of my Marantz? Should I just wait until I can go for the Pioneer?

Any advice greatfully received!!

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Wait for the Pioneer, if you go on a waiting list you will have one in a few weeks.

An interim upgrade will just waste money, hold out for what you really want.

Gus

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Having not heard the Pioneer (Have you?) is this a good upgrade path? What I mean is will you notice/hear the difference.

If you are just wanting it for movies then a look at Yamaha may be an idea.

I have always been impressed with Yamaha, I have their silver 430.

4. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your right I havent heard it, just a lot of very good things (in fact I havent come accross anything negative yet!).

I would hope that it would be a massive improvement over my current amp considering it is 3 times the price.

Do you have any info on the Yammy? For some reason I have never given them the time of day and I'm not really sure why??

Have also been looking into the Denon 3803 as that also seems to be another popular choice.

Just not sure whether to go the whole hogg in a couple of months or go for something like the 2803 or 1803 now (both can be had for a real bargain price)

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have always thought that Yamaha make great AV amps and feel, at their price bracket, have a fair understanding of what people want from a film.

Just because its 3 times the price is it 3 times better. You are well advised to listem to one first as you will be upset if you can only hear a minimal difference. Just trying to save your money.

Under no circumstances buy an interim, I have in the past and regretted it!

How about a Denon 3802, can pick these up fairy cheeply now that the 3803 is out, if you fancy a Denon. Again I have had a 3802 and was very happy with it.

Hope this helps

6. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you class this as an 'interim' amp though and would it be any better than my Marantz?

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Can't anwswer that one, sorry, as I never heard a Marantz.

There must be someone else here that can help though

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    What don't you like about your Marantz? Answer that one & I think you'll be on the right path -

E.G. my last upgrade -

Sherwood something or other - ok job with movies but that was it

Q1 What do you want that your amp can't do?

"I want More Power" "I want 6.1" "I want DPL2"

Q2 How much money have you got?

"£350"

Q3 Are you sure you aren't just being silly?

"No that Sherwood has to go"

= Yamaha 630 (which I got rid of because it didn't look right but hey none of us get it right all of the time)

At all stages keep asking yourself Q3 and stick to your answer to Q2 and don't get distracted by shiny things not in your list from Q1

9. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the main thing is that I have upgraded almost all of my system recently

Panny ae100
    HK DV25
    B&W VM1's
    B&W ASW675

and the Marantz is all thats left of the 'old' system. I think the thing is that I have spent quite a lot of money on all the other stuff and I'm not sure that the Amp is 'the weak link'?

It only cost me £250 and that was a year and a half ago so I'm thinking the system sounds good but how good could it sound????

10. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Is the amp 5.1 or 6/7.1

11. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    nope you're slipping into am I being silly = yes

you need to define a reason for an upgrade. your amp is powerful enough to drive your speakers so unless it is short of some essential toys (or you have too much money) then my advice is to sit tight and reconsider your positio in six months when the new amps will be old amps and there will be a whole new set of new amps

12. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current amp is 5.1 so I'm thinking maybe 6.1 is worth a look (not sure if it isnt anither gimmic??)

The only thing with waiting for 6 months (and I do hear what your saying Wilber!) is that you can always wait another 6 months and never end up getting anything.

The problem with all of this stuff (as my wife tells me!!) is that none of it is really essential, I can live without new speakers, amp etc etc.

The thing with AV kit is that there is a lot of emotion and 'I wants' involved. I dont need any of this stuff but I sure as hell want it!!

:devil: :devil:

13. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I just upgraded my Yamaha 730RDS (i had that for about 3 months) to a 2011 the difference from early auditioning is a great deal especially with music.

It all depends on what your long term plans are...? I bought my amp (the 730) but in the back of my mind i was always thinking that i should have bought the 2011. So if you can save some cash and then get what you really want thats what i would reccomend. Otherwise 6 months down the road you may regret your purchase and then start suffering from upgraderitis! I was lucky enough to get almost all of what i paid for my 730 (well actually a little more :clap: ) back so just topped it up and picked up the 2011.

I do agree with Wilber though as when something is three times more it doesnt mean its thrice as good. But have a listen to a few things and if you can bear it for a couple of months etc save up and splash out. Its upto you in the end mate.

Good luck,

Mog

14. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    So from that you can see that it may not be for you because, as you have said, you only want it for AV.

I regarded moving from 5.1 to 6/7.1 a good reason for upgrading and not a gimic.

Go out and demo, demo, demo.

15. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    6.1 is good but probably not worth the money you are talking about, if that is your only reason, PLII is in my opinion worth more than 6.1 if you watch a lot of TV or Sky it blows the old format out of the water.

16. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is PLII?

Not sure if my amp has that or not??

17. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    PLII = Dolby Pro Logic 2

A vast improvement over and its 1st incarnation and is used for converting 2 channel stereo into surround sound. Hence the TV, SAT uses. I think its great.

Mog

18. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

Have you thought of upgrading to a Pioneer VSX-D1011 - pretty much similar to the D2011 but cheaper and easier to get hold. I have just upgraded from a Marantz 7200 to a D1011 (£560 in stock from www.avland.co.uk) and am very, very happy with the results - a great improvement.

Thanks

Guy

19. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have thought about this one but for the sake of £100 surely its worth a little wait for the 2011?

20. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Best advice I can give you is wait and get the 2011.

There are rivals --- HK5550, Rotel 1055/1065 and Denon 3803 (in order of my preference).

The 1011 has no auto MCACC, component or OSD. I reckon an extra £100 is a bargain to get these features.

I have never seen a bad word against the 2011's movie performance, it is better than my Yamaha 3090 (£1700 7 years ago) and even though I am looking to bring my AV up to the same standard as my main HiFi and go pre proc/powers the 2011 continues to delight.

Gus

21. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think at the end of the day you are right!!

I know that in my heart that is what I want (regardless of the why's and wherefores!) so I think I will save up and wait until the supply improves!

Thanks for all the advice!!