Is it worth upgrading my TX-SR507 to a TX-NR609

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sideshow bill, Dec 7, 2011.

1. sideshow bill

sideshow bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As the thread title suggests is it worth it? my config is an LG LW550T 3D TV, sky + Hd, LG 3D blu-ray and Q acoustics 2000 5.1. Is there a discernable difference in the quality of the 2 amps?

Thanks in advance

2. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Well as far as I know, the 507 only has HDMI 1.3, which doesn't support 3D over HDMI. With your 3D player and TV, it'd surely be handy to have that in your AVR too! I assume that you're currently routing video direct from player to TV, and audio separately to the AVR?

Then there's the networking features - are they useful to you?

And so the quality. There's definitely an upgrade in amplification and build quality between the 5xx and 6xx range, and technological improvements between the x07 and x09 series.
    How well is the 507 driving your speakers? Does it hold tight onto the low frequencies, or do they become a bit boomy? When there's a lot going on, does it sound messy or clear?

I suspect that for quality alone, it's not worth the cost of the upgrade. But if you want the additional features, then it could well be.

Out of interest, do you use your system solely for TV/film? Or music too?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. sideshow bill

sideshow bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes you're right my receiver is only used for audio via optical cables from the sky box and the DVD player. At the moment I only use the amp for TV/film but would like to start using it for music too and the 609 does appear to be more flexible.

Another issue that I have with my current amp with it being HDMI 1.3 only is that I cant attach my laptop to it, therefore I have to attach it directly to the TV and use the TV volume.
    As for the quality it's OK I suppose, certainly for DVD's it's excellent, just feel that I could get more from none 5.1 broadcasts

4. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Ok. If you start using it for music, I think you're going to get the best improvement for your money by adding a stereo amp in addition to the 507, rather than upgrading to the 609. That'll do a better job in stereo than the 507 does in 5.1. Probably better results for non-5.1 broadcasts too.
    This does, of course, mean that you'll need to have space for two amps and a speaker switch (to share the same front speakers between both amps), so that solution might not be for you.
    Choose a second-hand stereo amp carefully enough and you might even have budget left over to upgrade your front speakers too. If you can do this, then you're definitely in a better place than upgrading to the 609.

As for whether the 609 is much of an upgrade for you, I still don't know. If you want to listen to stereo broadcasts in 5.1, Onkyo may well have upgraded the upmixing processing.

5. nociseptor

nociseptor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just upgraded to it from an old school onkyo DR-S2.2(currently on ebay:) ) and the NR609 blows by buddy's new $1000 panasonic out of the water. There is also, from what I understand a major step up in quality from the HDMI passthrough which will allow 3D. Im not a big 3D fan but if this is the next step in AV entertainment, I guess I'm going to go with it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. sideshow bill

sideshow bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for reply, however, wishing to remain a married man means another amp is out of the question.... As for the speakers and upgrading them, well I was only allowed the ones I have because they're 'gloss white' and compliment the decor...

7. JonathanAV

JonathanAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,
    The 609 is a great Amp & its a must if you have a 3D TV (but I dont have a 3D TV yet :facepalm:)