1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth upgrading my speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bobz, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Bobz

Bobz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I have a set of Creative Gigaworks s750 speakers along with the DDTS-100 decoder, PS2 and Pioneer 370 dvd player.

I am trying to get the most out of these speakers and was wondering if it is possible to get new speaker cable for the Gigaworks?

I know these are only PC speakers and not top-of-the-range hi-fi stuff, but these are not like any other pc speakers.
    There is much louder, tighter bass from the sub than there is from my brother's Technics Hi-Fi which reatailed for €1000, and while the treble and midrange is also noticably clearer with less hiss at high volume, it is not as loud compared to the Hi-Fi.

If anyone has changed the speaker cable for their gigaworks and got good results could they please tell me how they did it and direct me to a suitable cable?

Thanks,
    Bobz

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Transferring to cable forum

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Decent computer speakers can actually be just that and I don't think they should be overlooked or discounted. I use some Logitech THX rated satellites as rear speakers to good effect and the sub they came with outperformed my old Paradigm PDR10 although it was difficult to set up properly.

I'm not familiar with your speakers, is the cable built into the speakers at any point? If it is then I wouldn't bother changing anything.

If the entire cable is removable then examine it and see if it's made of pure copper (the whole cable will be copper in colour). The alternative is for it to be made out of tinned copper (looks like copper from the end but will be silvery on the surface of the wire). If it's just copper then I'd leave it, if it's tinned then you might want to replace it with some cheap copper speaker wire. I wouldn't hold your breath for any improvements to the sound though. :)

4. Bobz

Bobz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice eviljohn2.
    They are removable from the speakers but are pure copper so I guess I'll leave them as they are.

Now its just time to bring those rear speaker cabes through the wall and out of the way :)

5. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobz,

For the sake of bugger all cents (or p)/m, you could quite easily upgrade to a better cable that could offer you (if nothing else) better power handling if you upgrade things down the track.

Personally, I'd do it, cause it's such a cheap upgrade with lots of potential.

CfP

6. Bobz

Bobz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cfp,

Thanks for the reply, you've got me thinking now and I would like to try upgrading the cable.

Does anyone know what I have to do exactly to go about changing the cable for my pc speakers?
    (I've never upgraded speaker cable before so this is all new to me.)

They connect to the amp (which is in the sub) via RCA connectors, and the part that connects to the actual speakers splits into 2, both with pure copper strands.

Would I need to buy a cable with 2 coils of copper stand at one end, one coil at the other and and RCA plugs??

Bobz.