Is it worth upgrading my pioneer slimline VSX-C402 to a Yamaha DSP AX750SE?

music

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a BK XLS200 sub and Orb speakers (i.e. quite small steel satellites). I'm running these off a pioneer slimline VSX-C402 receiver.

The orbs cost me about £550 and the sub £275. The pioneer cost me £150.

Is it worth me upgrading to the Yamaha DSP-AX750SE? The pioneer does the job, but I wonder if it would make a significant difference if I paid out approx £350 to upgrade to the Yamaha? Would I really notice it? Does the other equipment justify an upgrade? Or is the pioneer 'good enough'?

They always say that equipment should be evenly matched? I'm not sure if it's worth it, especially as I obviously can't realistically arrange a comparitive audition?

Any opinions gratefully recieved.

music said:
Does the other equipment justify an upgrade? Or is the pioneer 'good enough'?

I have the Yamaha 750, and celestion 'pod-like' speakers (i.e. the small ones on glass stands) - and they sound great together for video (wouldn't really cut the mustard for pure audio, though they're not too bad at that either). Don't know the pioneer amp at all, so answers to your question should always be caveated that most people don't have the different varients that you talk about - just one side of it. Therefoe you are unlikely to get a properly balanced opinion.

What I can say about the Yamaha is that it gets a good press generally from people, works great with the similar type speakers I have, the lip-sync adjust is great (if you are annoyed by lip-sync issues), the various DSP programmes are quite fun (including the 'night mode' which is useful for watching films without disturbing the kids as it limits the really loud stuff). No real downsides I've found yet, but that doesn't mean that I'd then go and upgrade if I didn't have it unless there was something about it I really wanted.

Cheers

Greg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom