Is it worth upgrading my Pioneer 717

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tiggy, Feb 23, 2002.

1. tiggy

tiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know there's been a few posts recently, concerning people upgrading there machines, I apologize but here's another.

Quick and simple

I know this machine is a few years old now, but is it REALLY worth upgrading, as the Market come on leaps and bounds since it's release. If I was, then PICTURE is absolute paramount, I've no real interest in SACD, DVD-A , just a DVD player, it must however be Multi-region, and RCE Compatible, I have a budget of no more than £700. What new machines have we to look forward to.

Any Advice would be appreciated.

P.S.

I'll be getting my 717 Chipped to Multi-Region, RCE soon, I've had a scout round
    and the best place I've come across so far is http://www.multi-region.co.uk/
    They quote £50 and they pick up and deliver would you say that's a fair price.

2. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DV-717 is a good player. I see no need for upgrading it unless you want to use a projector and take advantage of progressive scan.

I used to own a DV-717 and it has stellar performance both with DVDs and CDs.

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm expecting my Pioneer 747A player to be delivered within the next few days.

I paid £750 for it from Home Cinema Heaven using the DVD forums discount.

It depends what your really after. There have been many advances in performance with players. Including: 540 Line Res, improved video quality, 12-Bit DAC, 108MHz Picture Sampling etc etc.

The 717 is a fairly old machine now and i think you may see a huge jump from a 717 to a 747.

I'm upgrading from a Pioneer 626D to a Pioneer 747A. I'll let you know my views of the machine when i get it!

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tahustvedt is absolutely right in what he says.. if you're not upgrading to a projector or a bigger TV than its debatable what difference you will find over your old Pioneer 717... assuming you are happy with it.

however...

much as I liked my old Pioneer 717...which was state-of-the-art 3 years ago.. the video from it could be quite noisy at times in the background... just kind of ignored and accepted it...

the picture on my new player (Denon 2800 same as tahustvedt) slaughters it ... much cleaner... more clarity.. far less noise .. altogether more "filmic" if you can describe it as such.

remember that all Pioneer 717s can have lipsync problems irrespective of the firmware levels... just depends whether you pick it up.