Is it worth upgrading my Pioneer 575 now i have a 428 Plasma

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by audiobox, Jan 12, 2008.

1. audiobox

audiobox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my self a Pioneer 428 and although i thnk the DVD playback on the 575 is pretty good i like the idea of using a USB stick to play Divx movies from. If though, for a budget of around £200 i cannot get a noticible improvement, i dont think i would change.
    Has anybody upgraded from a 575 and been happy ? (lots of people i guess)

2. timearp

timearp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Someone must know? I'd like to know too! mines still going strong, is it worth letting the screen do the work?

3. steviea

steviea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The logical upgrade would be one of Pioneers new machines,especialy the BDP LX70a,into your panel both sd and bd would look stunning!!!!

4. timearp

timearp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I couldn't agree more! However, my budget is similar to that of the one that audiobox has... :smashin:

5. cockbongo

cockbongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I recently upgraded from a Pioneer DV575 to a Pioneer DV600 and there's a definite increase in quality. The upscaling is pretty damn good, and of course the digital connection rather than the RGB Scart or component is definitely superior. Also, the advantage is that its pretty much identical to use - same remote, similar menus/operating system.

Oh and its much smaller :eek:)

6. audiobox

audiobox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Just what i was waiting to hear. Off i go then to find a 600:) but just one question Cockbongo. Have you seen the 575 via component because its pretty good.

7. temsonic

temsonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm in exactly the same position - wondering whether to upgrade from the 575 which I currently have via component to my Panasonic 32" LMD70. I'm actually pretty happy with the current picture and the panel already has very good scaling of it's own, but there's always that nagging feeling that maybe a HDMI conection might be better...

I'm pretty limited in my choices firstly due to budget and also as I have a few SACD and DVD-A discs I still want to be able to play, so the DV600 seems like a natural upgrade path.

Can anyone comment in general re the improvement between component and HDMI? The 575 actually has very poor progressive output for PAL sources so I get a far better picture with the player set to interlaced. Is this rectified in the DV600? I think it was due to the Mediatek chipset, and afaik the DV600 uses the same chipset - please correct me if I'm wrong. How does it work with HDMI if the progressive output is poor? Can you select whether to have interlaced or progressive output in the DV600 over HDMI? Also, is the DivX playback improved at all, I get slightly jerky playback on the 575 on some files from American TV sources.

In short, I need to know whether the potential improvement is enough to make it worth approx £120. Any comparisons of the two, especially re differences between component and HDMI would be very welcome.