Question Is it worth upgrading my PC/HTPC?

Big Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of upgrading my PC. At the moment I use it as a HTPC and a general PC for web surfing, blu-ray ripping/encoding etc.

Current set up

AMD 640 3.0Ghz quad core
8 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
128g Samsung SSD
Radeon HD6670
Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 Motherboard
Corsair Builder Series CX500W PSU
LG Blu-ray drive
Trendsonic Apollo ATX Gaming Case
3x WD 3 TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive
2x 3TB External WD My Book Live
1x 4TB External Toshiba Canvio

The good - With this set up I can stream full Blu rays with HD audio to my TV, projector & Monitor.

The Bad - Only 2.0 USB, Cant plug extra hard drives into motherboard. I would prefer all hard drives to be internal. Also a second HDMI out would be handy. Can be sluggish when encoding.

Any advice to what I can do would be great.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That motherboard has six SATA ports but you appear to have four SATA devices. Why can't you plug more in?

What encoding are you doing? Presumably you're down-sampling the blu-rays for smaller screens or to save space rather than transcoding them to a more efficient storage format? Specifically whether you'd want to use dedicated encoding hardware included in modern graphics that's much faster but slightly lower quality.

I forgot about a 1 TB drive and does the blu ray drive not use a sata port?
I just encode my blu rays down to about 15gb mkvs. It takes about 3-5 hours depending of the disc.

You mentioned the blu-ray drive and three hard drives that weren't external. Hence 4 SATA ports in use with 2 apparently free. Even with the extra 1TB drive that's still one unaccounted for.

Which video format are you encoding to? Are you re-encoding just the VC-1 blu-rays to H.264 or are you swapping them to HEVC or VP9 at original quality to take advantage of the more efficient compression?

Maybe I miss counted, I thought I had no ports left, but I will run out of space soon.
I'm just encoding to H.264. I did try HEVC but it took 15 hours to do one film. I don't know about vp9.

Well you will need a definite count of SATA devices when considering your options for upgrades. No point in spending more to get a motherboard with ten ports only to discover you've got eleven devices and will need an SATA card anyway.

A lot of blu-rays are already H.264 so I'm not sure why you're encoding to the same format at the same or a slightly lower quality. Have you tried just remuxing them to MKV instead of converting? That should be a lot faster.

I remux some of them, but anything over 20gb I encode down to 15gb to save space. It's worth doing and it doesn't lose any noticeable quality. Something with ten ports would do, any recommendations? Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom