Is it worth upgrading my mac mini?

nix

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2ghz 2007 mac mini (3gb ram) which I use for films etc as part of my AV system.

My brother's coming over from the States and can get a new one for £370. I'm think I can sell my existing one for about £300-350 here. So is it worth the money to upgrade? Are there any major differences?

:thumbsup:

There's a huge difference...

4Gb RAM accessible, with faster DDR3 memory,
Faster frontside bus,
Dedicated video memory, up to 256Mb,
Extra USB ports,
Offers desktop mirroring
802.11n wireless,
Option to upgrade to 2.26Ghz processor,
Option to upgrade to 360Gb hard drive.

Hmm. The wireless 'n', usb ports and better video card are interesting. Would there be much performance improvement for using Plex and also home video editing? The only two things I use this for in all honesty.

Most have said that 1080p is a lot more stable on the newer Mini than before (down to the better gfx and fast ram) so if that's important to you then it would be handy to upgrade.

But, if like me, you are more than happy with your current setup and don't care about 1080p play back (when 720p is just as good anyway!) why bother upgrading? If it ain't broke etc etc etc....

Do you transfer a lot of files using the FW port? FW800 (on the 2009 MacMini) is way faster than FW400...

just jumping on the bandwagon :D is there such a thing as fw800 to fw400 cable for an existing fw timemachine drive?

I would just do it for £70 notes - new machine, new warranty, new ilife and faster on all fronts.

Can he bring me one:rotfl:

edit - and there is nothing like opening that apple box for the first time

Last edited:
is there such a thing as fw800 to fw400 cable for an existing fw timemachine drive?
Yep - it is called a 9-pin-to-6-pin FW cable. You should be able to get this in a Apple store or a reputable electronics/computer store. Or eBay.

LOL

Thanks for the pointers. I guess £70 doesn't sound so much for a new box, better spec and new warranty.
I don't use firewire as my camcorder uses usb. I do store my download videos on a different computer and stream them using 'n', so inbuilt 'n'-ness is good. I haven't tried 1080p yet, though I do lots of 720p. Can 1080p stream over wireless 'n'?

My brother's coming over from the States and can get a new one for £370.

I don't recall that warranties for desktops (such as the MacMini) are transferable from country to country, but pls correct me.

Last edited:
I don't recall that warranties for desktops (such as the MacMini) are transferable from country to country, but pls correct me.

+1. As far as i know the warranty for Apple products bought in US is not valid in UK and vice versa.

I haven't tried 1080p yet, though I do lots of 720p. Can 1080p stream over wireless 'n'?
It might be okay, but I'm full Gigabit ethernet now from my iMac through my Airport Extreme to my Mini. Never been a fan of wireless anyway. There's nothing more secure than having to plug a cable into your router to gain access.

I do know that *portables* are covered internationally by Apple, by virtue of having actually taken in a US-style MacBook for repairs to the optical drive by the local Apple technical support under the cover by AppleCare.

+1. As far as i know the warranty for Apple products bought in US is not valid in UK and vice versa.

It doesn't seem to say otherwise from Apple's US website http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/
It might be a good idea nonetheless to get him to buy it using a UK credit card. More info on credit card protection here

I do know that *portables* are covered internationally by Apple, by virtue of having actually taken in a US-style MacBook for repairs to the optical drive by the local Apple technical support under the cover by AppleCare.

I haven't got the ref to hand but I believe all Macs are now covered internationally, laptops always were. ISTR a press release to that effect a couple of years ago - will look. I wouldn't go by any description on a US site as they automatically dismiss the rest of the world from their literature.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom