Is it worth upgrading from FULL HD 1080P to 4k on a midtier budget

chicken1011

Standard Member
I've managed to secure myself a PlayStation 5 and I was wondering whether it would be worth upgrading from my LG FULL HD 1080P TV to a 4k tv with a budget of around £500. I've done a little bit of research which seems to suggest the difference is not that much on lower to mid tier 4k sets so I don't want to spend £400/£500 on a 4k TV when I won't be able to see that much difference especially since I'd be looking at 43" to 50" sets. However, is it worth upgrading just purely because of the increased resolution and just general TV watching [i.e., 4k movies, streaming etc]?

I've had my current TV for God knows how long, there's nothing wrong with it and works perfectly fine but I'm not sure whether to just bite the bullet and upgrade to a 4K set.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Not really unless you can get a TV that properly handles HDR (a 49” is going to be around £700 for the Sony 49XH9505, or another £100 probably for the 55”). Save up a bit more

pastrybloke19

I've managed to secure myself a PlayStation 5 and I was wondering whether it would be worth upgrading from my LG FULL HD 1080P TV to a 4k tv with a budget of around £500. I've done a little bit of research which seems to suggest the difference is not that much on lower to mid tier 4k sets so I don't want to spend £400/£500 on a 4k TV when I won't be able to see that much difference especially since I'd be looking at 43" to 50" sets. However, is it worth upgrading just purely because of the increased resolution and just general TV watching [i.e., 4k movies, streaming etc]?

I've had my current TV for God knows how long, there's nothing wrong with it and works perfectly fine but I'm not sure whether to just bite the bullet and upgrade to a 4K set.
In short, no; need a bit more budget to make it worthwhile to upgrade. 55” XH9505 is decent, or Q90T if HDMI 2.1 is key

chicken1011

Standard Member
In short, no; need a bit more budget to make it worthwhile to upgrade. 55” XH9505 is decent, or Q90T if HDMI 2.1 is key
Thanks for your advice. I'm not so fussed about having HDMI 2.1. I'm looking at the XH9505 55" at the moment for £798 [£200 off original price of 998 voucher] at John Lewis. I'm now thinking if I'm going to upgrade I should definitely by a TV that will display HDR decently and take advantage of the PS5 the most.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The resolution bump, especially at a smaller size, is barely noticeable. It's only worth pursuing for HDR and if you have the required sources for that.

chicken1011

Standard Member
The resolution bump, especially at a smaller size, is barely noticeable. It's only worth pursuing for HDR and if you have the required sources for that.
Would you say 55" is large enough to see a noticeable difference? I'd be upgrading from a 32" 1080p screen.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Unless you sit really, really close to the screen... not really.

Will a 4K disc look better than a 1080p Bluray. Yes, but it's not like the Bluray looks bad unless it was a badly mastered disc.

It's nowhere near the jump from VHS>DVD or DVD>1080p unless you have a massive screen.
I sit 8-9ft from a 65" TV, I can see the HDR but the resolution bump is a minimal gain.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

It's more the drawbacks associated with cheaper and HDR that makes it hard to recommend nowadays rather than how the TV will compare with SDR to your current TV.

The gains you can make will be small, and you'll get the added trouble of HDR content looking worse.

I'm not sure if it's still active or not but recently the Hisense U8Q was £500 at Costco. That would be a way to get decent HDR in your budget. Perhaps also a refurbished Sony could be an option.

chicken1011

Standard Member
It's more the drawbacks associated with cheaper and HDR that makes it hard to recommend nowadays rather than how the TV will compare with SDR to your current TV.

The gains you can make will be small, and you'll get the added trouble of HDR content looking worse.

I'm not sure if it's still active or not but recently the Hisense U8Q was £500 at Costco. That would be a way to get decent HDR in your budget. Perhaps also a refurbished Sony could be an option.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a 55XH9505 this morning as John Lewis were offering it for £699 with a voucher code. I think I got a bargain going by some of the reviews on here and elsewhere!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom