Is it worth upgrading a 10 year old receiver?

Sandy001

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a STRDG920 Sony receiver bought in 2008 which still works decently.
My speaker setup is 5+1
Front left and right and the surround speakers are in-ceiling speakers.
The Center speaker is not in ceiling. There is also a subwoofer.

Due to a short on speaker wire the STRDG920 started shutting itself down.
I bought a STRDN1080 Sony receiver but I did not open the box yet.
Since my old receiver is not broken is it worth replacing it or return the new receiver?
I do not plan to upgrade the speakers.
I am using a projector Sony VPLHW40ES.

Thank you!

Hi guys

I have a STRDG920 Sony receiver bought in 2008 which still works decently.
My speaker setup is 5+1
Front left and right and the surround speakers are in-ceiling speakers.
The Center speaker is not in ceiling. There is also a subwoofer.

Due to a short on speaker wire the STRDG920 started shutting itself down.
I bought a STRDN1080 Sony receiver but I did not open the box yet.
Since my old receiver is not broken is it worth replacing it or return the new receiver?
I do not plan to upgrade the speakers.
I am using a projector Sony VPLHW40ES.

Thank you!
if your happy with the old one,then why change,your a lot wiser than the rest of us loonys.:)

Thanks Kahlua that was funny! I was just wondering if the sound quality/clarity has improved in the last 10 years to be worth.

If you open the box and try the new one, does that mean that you then won't be able to return it?

Thanks Kahlua that was funny! I was just wondering if the sound quality/clarity has improved in the last 10 years to be worth.
some would argue the older amps sound better as they dont have all the bells and whistles of the current crop,but in truth i think sound and clarity have improved quite a bit,only you can decide if the upgrade is worth it.

If you open the box and try the new one, does that mean that you then won't be able to return it?
No, it does not mean that. You can open it up, try it out and return it within two weeks of receipt if it does not meet with your expectations and you do not need to give any reason for returning it.

Martin.

No, it does not mean that. You can open it up, try it out and return it within two weeks of receipt if it does not meet with your expectations and you do not need to give any reason for returning it.

Martin.
Thanks Martin. I know that is the case for online purchases in the UK, but the OP is in the US and hasn't stated if he bought the product online or from a store. So, I wasn't sure if the same rules would apply?

Thanks Martin. I know that is the case for online purchases in the UK, but the OP is in the US and hasn't stated if he bought the product online or from a store. So, I wasn't sure if the same rules would apply?
Ah, I never picked up on that fact. Like you, I am not familiar with purchasers' rights in the US. He would be better asking his question on an American site like, for example, AVSForum where hopefully someone will be able to give him pertinent advice.

Martin.

Just to let you know I can return it indeed and I did return it since it was 650$ with taxes and even if it is slightly better I was thinking that without moving to like a Atmos type of speaker setup is not worth it. Maybe in a few years a more major investment is worth it.
It seems like all the other goodies coming with it (airplay, Bluetooth, Spotify connect) are already handled by other equipment. My projector is not 4K either....

Also I did not realize that this is not a US site. Thanks for the link. I am a newbie :)
Anyway I did try to manually setup my old AV receiver using the CNET recommendations (set speakers to small, crossover to 80 HZ, measured the distance to each speaker form where I was seating, use a iPhone app to get the 75 db per speaker) .
Get better sound from your AV receiver using your smartphone

I listen then to some scenes in the movie Gravity and the surround effect really worked better. This is of course a side comment.

Btw, do you think I should close this thread as to not clutter the website?

Thanks all!

Hi Sandy, it's an easy mistake to make. This site is actually a UK based one though we do seem to get a few US visitors popping in from time to time. Anyway, it's good that you were able to return the receiver.

As for closing this thread, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Martin.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom