1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth tri-amping?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BLACK_MAGIC, May 10, 2003.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK i have an arcam a85 and p85 and am just about going to settle on a pair or kef 201's for my main music speakers or possibly the kef 203's if my other half allows me. Anyway they have triple binding posts on the speakers.
    Is it worth getting another p85 to tri amp the speakers properly or shall it just attach the high to the a speakers outs on the a85 the mids to the b speakers outs on the a85 and the low to the p85.
    The last way then i suppose i could eventually add a sub and attach it to the b speakers outs on the p85. Is this gonna be to much strain on the amps wiring it up this way? or shall i just go whole hog and get a second p85 if its worth the extra investment.
    Thanks to those that help

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    BlacKmagic.

I too use Kef 203's and a 202c on the front, i tri-amp each speaker with a Rotel 993 (3x200w).
    201's on surround back bi-amped with a Rotel 985/993 (remaining channels on 985 driving a pair of TDM34ds on side surround)

Bi-amping the Kef 203's was an improvement over single channel amping, tri-amping the gains were marginal other than dynamics.

General rule of thumb:
    Bi/tri-amping will bring improvements but a better ampifier will bring more positve results.
    I would change my 2 993's (1.2kw and approx 1600.00gbp)driving front left and right for a Musical Fidelity a300 stereo power amp.

Steve.

3. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have briefly experimented bi-amping my Kef 201s first with two Marantz KI amps, and more recently with two Chords. The difference each time was negligable.

My experiments with bi-wiring separate to this lead me to settle on my favourite combination: 1 amp, with 1 wire between it and the speakers.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I've found the only times worth going from bi to tri-amping etc is within the context of a fully active system,otherwise as Steve and dan suggest,a better amp is a more worthwhile solution than 2 poorer quality amps.

5. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was seriously thinking of going up a stage in amps. Problem is love the arcam. Even though i think its lacks power its such a great bit of kit and seems to blend well with just about anything i audition with it.
    I looked hard at the musical fidelity stuff for a while. Infact i was demoing it again today as its the next bracket up in amp upgrade for me, but im finding it a little bright to be honest. Just outta curiosty do you know any arcam sounding amps at around the musical fidelity price levels?

6. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :) Its amazing how differentley people hear things. Personally i dont think there is much difference with bi-wiring but with bi-amping the difference for me is massive. It with my ears anyways eliminates that claustrophbic sound you get in a stereo system. It seperates the sounds alot better. Of course this is with my ears though:)

7. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to sound stupid but what do you mean by a fully active system?
    Thanks.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black Magic try out Rega amps, supposed to be similar to Arcam, but more dynamic.

I also think biamping improves the sound for Hi-Fi. Not sure if it's worth biamping the left & rights in AV setup though. Perhaps centre speaker, as this is used the most.

I guess fully active means stuff like Meridian- poweramps in the actual speaker, no seperate poweramp is used. Just digital outputs from the Processor into each speaker.

9. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going active means substituting the passive crossover in the speakers for an active one, either in the speaker itself (a la ATC/M&K) or externally (Linn/Naim). Active crossovers are considerably better all round than passive ones, and the really special ones are something truly marvelous to behold/listen to.
    BTW The crossover is before the power amplification in an active system, and in some it is the main amplification (though this has gone out of fashion.)

10. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers dude ive never heard of rega amps before but ill give my local store a call and see if they can get them in.