1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Perminator, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post on this forum, but hopefully not the last one. I'm from Norway so please don't laugh when I write something stupid or spell something wrong, it's my English teacher's fault :)
    I'm writing because I'm thinking of upgrading my current surround setup. It's not that I'm unhappy with what I've got, it's just that I would like to get something that can play...better. I listen a lot to music and and the stereo-sound is my main priority when I now will be looking at some new equipment. The setup I have now looks like this:

Receiver: Yamaha Rxv-596
    Speakers: Tannoy M/Mx-series (Mx3, Mx2, Mc and Msub)
    Projector: Panasonic AE100

The thing is, I will be moving this fall, and I thought this would be a good time to start building a new home cinema. I'm on a pretty slim budget, so the plan was to sell all of the mentioned equipment, and then buy a new and more powerful receiver (which also plays better in stereo), a dvd player (which obviously doubles as a cd-player) and a pair of bookshelf speakers. This way I would have a good stereo setup while waiting for more money so that I can get a pair of front speakers, a center, a sub and a new projector.

I'm planning to spend about 17-18000 NKR, which is about £1300, and I'll probably be buying second-hand, hoping to get the most out of my money.
    I was thinking of buying the B&W CM2's as my front speakers (who will be used as rear speakers later), and I've had an offer where I could get them for about 5000-6000 NKR (about £380-450) including stands and ensurance. I thought this was a pretty good price as these cost 7000 NKR (about £540) without the speaker stands here in Norway.
    But I have started to doubt whether it is worth the money, upgrading from the Mx2's to the B&W. After all, I am on a tight budget and the Mx2's did get very good ratings when they came and I haven't had any problems with them. So that's the question I have:

Is it worth upgrading from the Mx2's to the CM2 (or any other bookshelf speaker in that price class)? Will I notice that much difference?

I must admit, I don't know why I have thought of getting the CM2's. I think it's just that they look nice and that B&W has a pretty good reputation. Plus, they are just within my price range.

I would really appreciate any answers or comments to this as it would help me a lot to get a second opinion on this. Obviously, the best thing would be to listen to the CM2's myself, but I was hoping I might get some help here first. This is a whole lot of money to me, and I really don't want to go wrong with this! Please, do also feel free to make any other suggestions or comments regarding my plans, whether it's the receiver or the dvd-player or something completely different.

:lease:

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    In my opinion, it's your receiver which is letting the side down, particularly in stereo. It's a older machine which while still capable with DVD, was never any great shakes at playing CD's. Your speakers are actually still very good and easily able to withstand an upgrade of other components.

£1300? I'd go for a new DVD player such as the new Pioneer 575 (£150) which is supposed to be pretty good in stereo and will suit your projector too. If you want even better sound, go for a mid-range Denon or entry-level Arcam.

Amp-wise, I'd also look at one of the mid-range Denon's, even the 3805. Or perhaps a Marantz which are known as being good in stereo.

I'd say the B&W speakers would be a bad decision in your case. They are likely to sound a bit more closed-in than your current Tannoy models and you'll possibly lose even more detail. Stick with the Tannoy's (they are great) and look further up the chain at your sources. :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you refer to Autumn as Fall, your English teacher is actually teaching you American and not English :)

I agree with Nobber that your receiver is the weak link in your chain and probably wasn't very good in stereo in it's day let alone now when standards and expectations have moved on a bit.

I used to have a pair of Tannoy M3 speakers plus the matching centre and was very pleased with it so would suggest that you may want to leave that to last.

Pioneer make some good DVD players and the 656A is now available second hand at a reasonable price. Mine is quite good with CD's and it has the benefit of playing DVDA and SACD to a good standard too.

4. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, I can't blame the teacher here. Don't know what went through my head... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick replies!
    I won't bother selling the speakers now (ok, maybe the sub), although the amp and dvd is going out. I'll have a look at the amps and DVD-players you mentioned...
    Thanks again, you probably saved me a lot of hassle (is that the right word?) :thumbsup:

5. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yamaha AV Receivers are known to have movie sound and no musical sound.

Try a Marantz, Denon, Nad or Cambridge Audio and matching DVD Player...

And a Rel (maybe Quake) Sub...

6. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I think your English teacher deserves a pat on the back, I've seen a lot of posts with worse grammar and construction from the English posters!

7. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for all the help! Now I know where to go next time I find myself scratching my head, wondering what to do...
    And StevieD; I'll pat him on the back the next time I see him (my English teacher that is, not StevieD) :)