Is it worth the extra?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wolvo_boi, Feb 3, 2018.

1. wolvo_boi

wolvo_boi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So as I work away a lot and only currently own an iPad I have been considering buying a laptop. (Currently have a desktop back home)

It would only be for general internet browsing, streaming Netflix etc, watching films. And for my sins I play Football Manager lol.

I am potentially setting up my own business soon though so this is another reason I have been considering a laptop purchase so there could be a possibility that I could use it a lot more than I would currently in the future.

Just a general shop around I have come across 2 that I thought seemed good value from my limited knowledge.

These 2 ...

LENOVO IdeaPad 320S-14IKB 14" Laptop - Grey

LENOVO Ideapad IP320s-14IKB 14" Laptop - Grey

Now the question is ... is it worth the extra £120 for the 256gb SSD over the 128gb SSD aswell as coming with the i7 over the i5 (not that my usage would notice the difference)

The alternative would be to either save for a much larger SSD to go in the i5 model or to run an external HDD.

For the usage I have laid out would the i7 model be fine on that size storage and if needed buy an external HDD if required.

So many variables ... so what would you guys go for considering it’s only a £120 difference (although small if I didn’t need to pay it makes sense not to) but then I would more than likely definitely need an external HDD that would set me back close to £100 anyway.

Thanks in advance

If anyone has any reasons why I should swerve the Lenovo models or any alternatives then I would love to hear them :)

2. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I would get the cheaper one, 128GB is a lot of storage unless you are a hoarding media on it which it doesn't sound like you will be

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    I'd hardly call it a lot. Barely sufficient if you don't have much digital stuff, would be a better description. My user folder alone is 68GB excluding media.

I'd personally be inclined to buy the SSD separately, although I may be being influenced by the colour of the i7 model.

4. wolvo_boi

wolvo_boi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I’m thinking the same myself.

256gb isn’t a HUGE amount either so I may end up having to purchase an external HDD regardless of the model I go for so therefore may be better going for the cheaper model.

Especially as for my usage the difference between the i7 and i5 won’t be noticeable.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    Well £120 will get you a 480GB/500GB/512GB SSD.