Is it worth spending the extra? (Samsung or LG)

ChrisJ90

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am almost certain this question has been asked a lot lately, but my question is, is it worth spending the extra amount on the LG?

I like to think I have done a bit of research into both the LG CX 77'' and the Q95T 75'' TVs. I have come up with the big differences being:

TV Model4k 120HrtzHDMI 2.1Dolby Atmos (EARC)VRRG-SyncFree SyncDolby VisionHDR
LG CX 65''Yes4xYes + USB SupportYesYesYesDolby Vision IQHDR10+
LG CX 77''Yes4xYes + USB SupportYesYesYesDolby Vision IQHDR10+
Samsung Q95T 65''Yes1xOnly Passthrough (NO USB)YesNoYesNoHDR10+ - HDR2000
Samsung Q90T 65''Yes1xOnly Passthrough (NO USB)YesNoYesNoHDR10+ - HDR2000
Samsung Q95T 75''Yes1xOnly Passthrough (NO USB)YesNoYesNoHDR10+ - HDR2000
Samsung Q90T 75''Yes1xOnly Passthrough (NO USB)YesNoYesNoHDR10+ - HDR2000

I am upgrading from a QE65Q8FAM. There is a big price difference from 65'' to 77'' (LG) and thinking do I actually need a 77''?

Any input will be appreciated to help me make a decision, I will be upgrading towards the end of this month (black Friday deals?), I have noticed prices have come down ALOT over the last 5-6 weeks.

Viewing distance? viewing conditions? Use case scenario? - there's a template in my signature link.

HDR2000 isn't a HDR format, its manufacturer marketing. Means nothing. The HDR formats available today are HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Technicolor HDR and HLG.

Every TV supports HDR10, some don't support HDR10+ (like LG) but they will still play the HDR10 layer.
Same is true other way round with Samsung TVs. They don't support Dolby Vision HDR, but they'll work with the basic HDR10 layer of it.

Dolby Vision is used on Netflix, Disney and commonly UHD Blu-Rays.
HDR10+ is used by Amazon, they have some Dolby Vision titles too.
HLG is a broadcast HDR format used mainly by BBC.
Technicolor hasn't been used yet.

Your current TV won't be too different to the Q90T/Q95T today with picture quality.

Viewing distance? viewing conditions? Use case scenario? - there's a template in my signature link.

HDR2000 isn't a HDR format, its manufacturer marketing. Means nothing. The HDR formats available today are HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Technicolor HDR and HLG.

Every TV supports HDR10, some don't support HDR10+ (like LG) but they will still play the HDR10 layer.
Same is true other way round with Samsung TVs. They don't support Dolby Vision HDR, but they'll work with the basic HDR10 layer of it.

Dolby Vision is used on Netflix, Disney and commonly UHD Blu-Rays.
HDR10+ is used by Amazon, they have some Dolby Vision titles too.
HLG is a broadcast HDR format used mainly by BBC.
Technicolor hasn't been used yet.

Your current TV won't be too different to the Q90T/Q95T today with picture quality.

Viewing Distance = 14/15ft
Viewing Conditions = Mainly used in the evening. Wall-mounted.
Use Case Scenario = Gaming (PS5 Mainly), 30min average TV time & the odd film.

I think LG is a clear winner, and more than happy to upgrade like for like (65''), but if the 77'' comes down in price then it will be a nice upgrade also. That being said, the Q95T 75'' is also on the cards, but just wanted to some feedback around the Atmos support and the ''real' diffrences between the both.

Yep LG is the winner for a gaming TV.

I'm not sure its a good idea buying a TV in mind of using the USB port for direct playback. You'll run into to compatibility problems with different file formats compared to using either a dedicated PC or Android box like the Nvidia shield.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom