1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth spending more?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by shortneck, Dec 30, 2004.

1. shortneck

shortneck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello!
    I found this forum to be very informative so I would appreciate your views.
    After a couple of months of research on the net/magazines and almost doubling my initial budget my final choices were:
    - Sanyo PLV-Z3 (2000-2150 euros)
    - Panasonic PT-AE700 (2000-2100 euros)
    - Hitachi PJ-TX100 (1500-1600 euros)
    - BENQ 7800 (around 2100 euros)

I've only managed to see Z3 and AE700 in action, side by side and the clear winner for me was Z3 (VB too obvious on Panasonic, Z3 much better blacks). Then again maybe the shop had set up the Sanyo in a better way. Yet there is the "predator" problem with Sanyo. Plus both Panasonic and Sanyo are near the high end of my budget.

I hear there are no rainbow problems with a 5xspeed 6segment wheel pj like the Benq 7800 but it's got lower res than the rest. Plus it's expensive.

Finally the tx100 fits better in my budget and even though it's not as popular (should I say good?) as the previous mentioned I haven't read any negative comments anywhere. Surely this is a good sign. Or not?

Based on the above I'm going to purchase the Hitachi one with a grey 16:9 screen. My question, is:

Would someone like me who is after my first (budget) pj be happy watching my dvds and occasionally connect my pc for a game through the tx100? I don't argue that the tx-100 will give the same picture as for example the z3, but is it worth the extra cash for a home cinema starting pj?

Technology nowadays is moving in a very fast pace. Hi-tech equipment of last year is old news today. The most fancy/expensive kit (not just pjs) you buy now it is going to be superseded in a couple of months.

After all, before researching and finding out about black levels, ANSI lumens, rainbows, chicken wire, vertical banding and the lot, I was completely impressed while watching Van Helsing, projecting on my bare living room wall through my work's old Epson EMP-S1.

Apologies for the length.
    Y

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, I can't help with your decision as I know nothing of those machines beyond what I've read .. but I need to point out that this comment about rainbows is not correct and could mislead you into not taking rainbows into account.

While a 5x wheel minimises the chances of seeing them, rainbows are still possible. I just sold a Sharp Z200 and now have an Optima H77, both 5x and both produce rainbows. Though not so they're a problem to me personally some people will still be bothered by rainbows even on this sort of machine.

If I had to choose among the projectors you list, I'd take the BenQ as long as rainbows aren't a problem and you're projecting to 80" or less .. at that sort of screen size the lower resolution won't make much difference and the improved PQ of a DLP will more than make up for it IMHO. :)

However, from all reports on here and elsewhere the Hitachi would certainly appear to be a good machine.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Speaking from around 2 months experience of my Hitachi PJTX100 I have been totally delighted by the performance.
    VB is virtually non existant, and I haven't even looked closely at calibrating properly yet.
    "Chicken Wire" is non existent from where I sit (about 9 ft from a 72" wide screen).
    Blacks / brightness / contrast etc are extremely good - many people comment it out performs many DLP models with supposedly higher specs in this respect
    Detail is amazing.
    It's also very quiet.

I've only used it for DVD viewing so can't comment on other uses.

If I was looking for a projector now (in the sub £1500 category) I'd still go for the TX100. My 2nd choice would probably be the panny 700.

Hope this helps...PJ

4. Bogeyed

Bogeyed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had two weeks use out of my Sanyo Z3 and as a DLP enthusiast who suffered from the dreaded rainbows I have to say I am highly delighted. Contrast is very good,no screendoor, no VB, excellent colour rendition and that is straight out of the box using the preset cinema modes. It is also very quiet and a doddle to set up with the lens shift feature, in fact because of the short throw lens I bought a bigger screen (77 inch diag Grandview) to replace my 65 inch one. I have ordered the DVE disc so I should be able to get even better results. The three year warranty also made the purchase a bit sweeter-Ivojo delivered in record time, I highly recommend them and they did a free dead pixel check. I feed it with component video so no problems although it had been updated to the latest firmware mod before delivery.

So far so good........................

5. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    shortneck - Hi :)

Of the PJs you've listed I have experience of the Z3 and Panny AE700 and I prefer the AE700.

I've also had a short demo of a DLP PJ, the Mitsubishi HC900, and whilst rainbows were not a problem in the slightest I did suffer from eye strain, so if you go this route a demo - for all that are likely to watch movies on the PJ ideally - would probably be for the best ;)

I originally bought a Panasonic AE100, which just wasn't good enough for me. This was quickly replaced with a Panny AE300 and I was quite happy with the image I got through DVi. However, I merely wanted more and after reading a lot of reviews, for instance www.cine4home - you'll need a translator such as World Lingo - I decided to go for the Hitachi TX100... but it was out of stock!

To cut a long story short, I've ended up with the Panny AE700, but if I were in your position and despite never having seen it in the flesh I would go for the Hitachi. My reason would be based on those reviews, the fact that UrbanT bought one - see his web site for some screenshots - and the fact that PJTX100 is obviously enamoured with his one :D

I think given your budget you would probably be very impressed :)

Let us know what you decide,

all the best,

Mark

6. shortneck

shortneck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yesterday after work, I went down the shop to get the tx100. They had it for 1500 euros which is the best price I've found here in Athens. Yet the guy at the store was trying his best to persuade me to go DLP.

His point is that no matter which model (!), an LCD fed by a “common” dvd-player will still show washed out colors while a DLP, even with a lower resolution like the NEC-410 that he recommended, will produce a much better picture.

Now I've only got a Pioneer 350 dvd player. He insisted that I'll have to spend at least 800 euros for a Denon or similar range palyer in order to be satisfied from the picture of the Hitachi.

To sum it up, the options according to him are:
    Hitachi tx-100 + “hi-end” dvd player = 1500+800 = 2300 euros
    NEC-410 + my existing player = 1250 + 0 =1250 euros
    BenQ-7800 + my existing player = 2100 + 0 =2100 euros

At the end I decided to give it another though and didn't get any. But I'm go ing back today to get the Hitachi and see what happens!

Frankly I'm fed up researching for this long. I wish it was easier…

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It is easier. Just go and get what you've decided on, and don't be swayed.
    I watched the TX100 for a while on an ageing Pioneer DV525 via SVHS and was delighted. I then decided to go for component/progressive and went out to buy a Pioneer 575. The guy in the shop persuaded me to buy another (more expensive) machine 'cause it had DVI output on it. Fair to say I never got to the DVI stage 'cause I saw enough in component and S-VHS modes to see it was a step down even from my 525. Went back and got what I originally went for which was a 575 and I'm very happy with that. May try DVI in the future.
    Motto is, walk out with what you went in for...PJ

8. shortneck

shortneck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well, I'm going in a couple of hours (after work) to get the Hitachi as I said.

Everyone cheers for your comments.

I'll post my experiences next year!
    Happy new year to all.

Y