• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Question Is it worth selling my plasma tv for a 4k LED Samsung?

Brodel

Hi,

I currently have a Panasonic TX-P37X10B. My housemate is able to get very good discounts on Samsung TV's through his workplace but he is leaving soon and I am tempted to take advantage of this before he finishes. For example, a Samsung UE40JU6400 is available for £300, but I'm clueless as to how big the difference in picture quality will be. I don't really watch freeview on my tv, I just use it for streaming or the odd bluray. I read the avforums review and am slightly concerned abut the viewing angles but if anyone has any opinions on the difference between an old plasma and a new samsung led tv I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
plasmas have better viewing angles, and a good plasma will normally be better at producing black, but new lce/led tvs are good and better than some plasma, I Would susggest going and having a look at one, I have a 59" samsung plasma and a 72" sony lcd/led tv and the lce/led produces blacks as good as the plasma , it can go brighter if need be and 3d is as good and tones brighter, motion the plasma edges it for me, and the led is tones cheaper to run.

babator

I think the Panasonic X10 series is an HD ready model from 2009, at least according to this review:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panasonic-Viera-TX-P37X10-37in-Plasma-TV-review

Panasonic plasmas from that era were good but not nearly as good as Pioneers, or the best plasmas in 2013 or 2014. The review says as much - "damn good picture for a budget model" - but I think LCD picture quality has improved since then, and you would eventually be happy with the new TV.
I would say you could probably expect:
- Same or better blacks and contrast
- Different motion than plasma (which may take some getting used to, and some playing around with settings)
- worse viewing angles
- chance of some backlight leakage/unevenness in dark scenes
- the bigger picture, even a few inches, contributing to immersion in a positive way
- sharper full HD or 4k images (more pixels, but also 1024x720 is not native resolution of any picture format, so there is always scaling)
- better upscaling (algorithms have improved, and Samsung has great upscaling and a lot more pixels to work with)
- quite a lot of tweaking of picture settings until you find a good result
- nicely working streaming options straight from the TV (although it is Samsung, so they may or may not break stuff in any given update)

SonOfSJ

Hello Brodel, I agree with what scottthehat and babator have said. I'm not sure how big a new television you want, but going from your present 37 inch to a 40 inch is a waste of time. There will be others, but one Samsung that you could look at is this award-winning 48-inch model, which has a very useful swivel stand.

SAMSUNG UE48H6400 48 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD

Review here Samsung UE48H6400 review | What Hi-Fi?

and here Samsung UE48H6400 LED TV Review

By the way, you really won't get much money for your existing HD ready, 2009 plasma. £150 absolute tops.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom