Is it worth saving up for a JVC projector?

HeavenlyWarrior

Hey, some of you know I've got a Optoma HD65, which is great, but I keep getting bugged watching it because I know I can have better, just couldn't afford it until now. I decided that if I was going 1080p I wanted to go for what I perceived from reviews to be the best, the JVC models. Anything less would just have me thinking I could have better while I watched it again. So I'm getting paid in a few days with this new job I just got, and moving into a new place, in a nice area, and I've met a beautiful woman who admires my AV geekiness. Life is looking up recently but lord knows I deserve it after the year I've had. So I'm going to indulge in actually making a dedicated home theatre room and go all the way.

So the stupid question is, should I get a entry level 1080p model, because I'm used to 720p so it's an upgrade anyway, or should I save up this month and next and get a JVC model to stop that niggling feeling at the back of my mind when I watch movies?

Hmmm.....

boulders

I found myself with the same issue, i have a Sanyo z5 and am waiting for a Sony to arrive now, I couldn't get the upgrade bug out of my head, now I just wish I'd bought it two months ago. If you can afford it go for it, if you are unsure hold back a while, you will appreciate the upgrade more then. I really liked the picture on the z5 and it was certainly good enough but like you I knew there was something better. I did want a JVC also but for my needs all round the Sony was a better fit.

Good luck!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If you are having a dedicated room (batcave) the JVC is definitely the way to go.Which model are you considering and will it be new or second hand.

I think the days of the cheap HD350's are coming to an end as I understand no more are being made.:(

So if new an X30 is probably your best bet unless you jump in quick for one of the last 350's.

HeavenlyWarrior

It won't be a batcave per se, but I tend to have low lights on anyway. Don't like bright lights so my place is always 'mood lit'. Thinking the JVC with a greyscreen would do quite well together to counteract ambient light?

How much can I get the HD350 for nowadays, new or secondhand? It seems to be the most popular model.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
New JVC HD350 £1699 from Richers with 3 yr warranty but they have very few left and once gone they are gone for good so after the new year probably no more.

Used from £1k - £1300 depending on age and lamp hours.Used 750's about £1300-1500.

There has been the odd X3 for £1800-2k used.

But if not bat cave make sure the area round the screen (ceiling also) is as dark as possible or you won't get the full benefit of the JVC black levels.

HeavenlyWarrior

1k? Didn't know they could go that cheap :) If I use 1k as a pricepoint, and if I cant find one, new or secondhand, is there anything close that is comparable with its black levels? Its the comments on the black levels in particular that are leaning me towards JVC's in the first place.....

kbfern

Distinguished Member
JVC's are out there on their own regarding black levels,some of the higher end Optomas and Epsons are pretty good but still fall short.Epson TW4400/5000 but used are still likely to be £1300-1500.

Optoma HD82 new for £1299 would be a great step up from the HD65 and if not in a batcave could be a good alternative to the HD350.

Superfi - THEMESCENE HD82 HOME CINEMA PROJECTOR

Garibaldy

Superfi have also had a couple of 10% discount promotion days over the past couple of weeks, making the HD82 only £1169.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
New JVC HD350 £1699 from Richers with 3 yr warranty but they have very few left and once gone they are gone for good so after the new year probably no more.

Touch of the deja vu's there, Keith!

Remember last year, when they kept finding the "last batch" in the back of various warehouses around the world?

What's the betting they'll still be available for next Christmas! :D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I know what you mean TG I remember the last of the HD350's x 3:D

However this time I think it is genuine as I had it from the horses mouth.Richers were the only outlet for The 350's for the last year or so.Any production or stock hanging around in any warehouses have gone through them so once the last units currently available are gone I don't think we will see any more.:)

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
If you are watching with lights on you are already crippling the black levels of any projector.

You would be wasting your money buying a JVC if you're not going to give it the conditions it needs to stretch it's legs.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
If you are watching with lights on you are already crippling the black levels of any projector.

You would be wasting your money buying a JVC if you're not going to give it the conditions it needs to stretch its legs.

Totally agree. :thumbsup:

I didn't post this myself, because someone always moans that I'm putting people off projectors by stressing the importance of room conditions.

What I would say to Heavenly Warrior, is that motion handling seems to be the weakness with the JVC's.

I'm disappointed that I can't watch cricket on my HD750, although it's sensational for movies.

Having said that, my Brother-in-Law watches Arsenal without any problems, so perhaps it's just me!

As always, get a demo before splashing the cash! :lesson:

HeavenlyWarrior

In actually dont watch tv, so only use my projector for movies and the rare videogame. The above point about ambient lighting is completely right, I guess the only way I could get the maximum out of it would be to create a batcave or use one of those high contrast screens like the Black Diamond if I cant. Should I forget the idea of getting the JVC because I cant afford the Black Diamond or create a batcave, therefor not getting the one thing I'm buying it for-the black levels?....

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Ambient light in the room is Ok till the movies come on then kill all the lights or get another brighter output pj but you will still kiss goodbye to the deep blacks.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
No...don't forget it, just turn the blinking lights off when you watch it. ;):D

If your walls are on the light side, you might look into higher contrast screens. The Black Diamond is highly spoken of, but also highly priced and some report seeing a texture on it. I'm hoping to look into a Draper React II next year to see how this looks in a light coloured demo room.

It's not that you won't be able to see the picture with some lights on as I occasionally leave a single light on at the back of the room if I've put something on for my son and need to see what I'm doing (ie I'm on AVforums ;)). The picture looks a lot better when I turn even this 8 watt (low energy) lamp off though.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Are you referring to the HC4000 HW if so they are a good step up from the HD65 but not in JVC territory for features and black performance.But as they are under a grand they are certainly worth considering just make sure the offset is not a problem to you.

It is around 18" offset with a 100" screen rather than less than 8" with the HD65.

HeavenlyWarrior

Offset is not a problem, I've been thinking that because I wont have batcave conditions getting the JVC might not be the best thing to get after thinking about it....

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Life is looking up recently but lord knows I deserve it after the year I've had. So I'm going to indulge in actually making a dedicated home theatre room and go all the way.

The above is a reminder of how you felt originally.

Go for that bat cave, you know you want to! :smashin:

MadScientist

I've just replaced a 720p DLP projector with a JVC X30 and don't have an ideal room - far from it. I noticed a massive upgrade to the picture quality and only have some wash out in the very brighest of scenes. While it of course helps, you don't need a bat cave for the JVC to shine. Amazing shadow details in the darker scenes. If you can afford one -go for it.

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
I've just replaced a 720p DLP projector with a JVC X30 and don't have an ideal room - far from it. I noticed a massive upgrade to the picture quality and only have some wash out in the very brighest of scenes. While it of course helps, you don't need a bat cave for the JVC to shine. Amazing shadow details in the darker scenes. If you can afford one -go for it.

+1

On this type of thread, there is always too much talk of black level performance and that there is no point in buying JVC type PJ's if you don't have a bat cave. Speaking from experience, as MadScientist has alluded too, it doesn't necessarily mean you won't see improvement. Yes, you won't run every last ounce of capability out of it but that is missing the point - you will still get improvement.

Lets not forget when discussing PJ's like the JVC HD350 that black level performance isn't the only string to its bow....its got motorised zoom, motorised lens shift, motorised lens cover, doesn't suffer from dust blobs like some LCD's, doesn't suffer rainbows like some DLP's......

Put a bit of magnolia on the wall and all of a sudden its a waste of money...that's a bizarre thought process IMO.
As mentioned already, the Optoma HD82 is worth looking into as well and may well be the projector for you. Just don't rule the JVC out just because your walls aren't black.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Does seem a shame to watch it with the lights on though...

...probably won't look any better than my old AE1000. ;)

With the lights off, however even with light coloured walls my HD350 looks better than my old AE1000 did.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Review

Latest News

LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Spotify HiFi service to deliver CD quality music later in 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published