Is it worth salvaging my harddisk?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by MikeKay1976, May 14, 2017.

1. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    I have been having corrupt files and random crashes the last few weeks and just ran health check on harddisk. Am usjng hdtune free 15 day trial to scan and hopefully block off the bad sectors it is finding. Is it worthwhile me faffing around or shall i just bin it

The segate firecuda 2tb seems a decent buy.

Ps with these hdds with a small ssd in it, if the ssd part fails will the drive continue to work like a plain baracuda, or will it take down my entire drive?

Thanks

2. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,279
    Id say bin it , if it's starting to fail now ( bit by bit) then it's going to give up altogether at some point , and if you haven't already saved what you can , you could end up loosing all your data ,

been looking at the firecuda my self was going to put one my ps4 pro ,
    not sure what would happen to ssd part , that's good question .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097

indeed, I know SSDs have improved a lot reliability wise over the years, and I have an M2 as my main drive, however the point of my mechanical is in theory it is less likely to fail, and if it does, most of my stuff should be salvageable, unlike when my 1st SSD failed which just died without and I lost everything not backed up (by the luck of the gods I had retired from my main rig a month earlier and it was relegated to my media pc so nothing important on it.

TBH I would just get a plain barracuda, however 2 year warranty on a HDD? that does not show much faith in their product, not when the firecuda is a more acceptable 5 years.

4. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,279
    I had a barracuda fail on me within 18 months , took it of my PC along with every thing else as i was installing a water loop , put it all back in and nothing was showing on the drive - it was empty so i lost all the data on there , not a total lose as it was my games drive which was back up to my NAS.

2 years isn't long time i agree, but the firecuda's are new/ish to the market , so im guessing they have more faith in them , than the years old barracudas.

5. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    a quick question, more a curiosity I guess as almost certain I will get a new drive.

I am doing a scan using HD Tune pro, free 15 day trial.
    its about half way and has found some bad sectors - all around the same spot.
    once the scan is done, do I need to do anything or are these automatically written to the firmware of the drive and blocked off?

thanks

6. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,279
    Not a clue Mike , sorry can't help you there , maybe one of the others can help you out with that one .

7. brunation

brunation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Does it have an option to view SMART data?
    You may have to write to that sector for the drive to do a re-allocation.

8. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    Bin it, my 2TB drive I use for general stuff before its relocated to its proper drive showed a bad sector so straight away I swapped it over and ordered another WD 2TB Red and then copied everything over to it.

I did intend on putting it in my machine since it was a red drive but frankly cba at the time to unplug and switch over so its now the backup lol.

9. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    Never liked the combi drives myself, I feel that they are just a bad idea (Had bad experiences with combi stuff when it has come to all electronics)

10. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Bin it, you have no idea what long term damage it will do, what are you using drive for OS or secondary, general desktop or gaming?

PC or Laptop and ideally what is the max size you really need?

I have had many computers, never really use more the 200GB, so never seeing the point getting anything bigger, that is with apps and a few games.

If you can live with a smaller size drive why not go full SSD. Better performance than any mechanical drive.

11. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    its a 2ndary drive. it only has games on it... and, funnily enough, a back up of all the important stuff which is on my primary samsung M2 SSD - I always assumed it would be my SSD which would fail).

i left it running a check disk last night and it recovered files from half a dozen apps. its now checking the blank part of the disk.

given its not got anything important on it (none steam game saves now backed up just incase - (i cant face starting eurotruck sim 2 for a 3rd time from scratch) i am going to see if i can fix it, more as an experiment than anything.

regarding size, i have maybe 800gb on it at the moment, however i need to get gears 4 off my SSD as its approaching 110GB now :eek: so pretty much 1TB of data.

so i think i want to stick with 2TB at least..... looking around, in my price bracket (under £100) i seem to be looking at either

Seagate Baractuda - around £70 but with some question marks over reliability and only 12 months warranty... its an older design drive

WD Red - around £60 still only 3 years warranty (I think) but is the cheapest of the bunch and not heard anything bad about reliability.

Seagate Firecuda - the fasted of the 3, and has a 5 year warranty. its the newest tech of the 3 AFAIK so logic would make me think it is likely to be the best.... BUT its the most expensive (almost £90) and I am worried about the SSD part. I like the performance it will give for some stuff, but worry it will be the most likely part to fail, and if it does i am unsure if it fully bricks the drive or if it is intelligent enough to just not use the cache should it fail.

i think the baracuda is out so its between the WD red and the Firecuda i think....... but my hope is i can limp with me existing drive whilst i think on it.

My current drive is a 2TB samsung eco drive, and i must admit i am not that impressed with it failing. ok its not new - bought in Feb 2011, however according to its SMART file it has only had 4800 hrs power on time which does not seem long to me. (scary fact over 1/4 of this time has been solely on Elite dangerous!!!)

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  12. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    200 days is not really much indeed, HD Sentinel for my WD Black 640gb got all the way up to 1000 days and ticked over and it has started from 1 again and it now says 181 days so add that to previous.

Power On Time = 69,882 (7.97 Years)

Cannot see option to show how much has been written to it but it must be a **** ton by now.

13. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Barracuda Pro / 5 Years

BarraCuda Pro Hard Drive 2 TB
    ST2000DM009
    New so not many stockists

14. boltlock

boltlock
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,248
    EBuyer are doing a 3TB drive for £74 today. Can't remember which one it is though.

15. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    I realise that SSDs are still a bit of a luxury item for mass storage but if you can afford it, ditch the mechanical drive and get a large SATA SSD (or two) to replace it.

Life's too short to wait around for HDDs.

16. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Hi

thanks guys..... I have ordered a toshiba 2TB HDD.. which goes against everything i said about warranty as its a 2 year warranty ..... however it was £65.50

i decided its for games and all the important stuff will be backed up in the cloud so if it fails its not such a deal. the SSD part of a hybrid drive is tiny and so not exactly going to affect games much, and the 7200 spin speed of the Toshiba P300 should be an improvement over my current 5200 spin speed eco drive.

i am sure the seagate drives would be fine, esp with their long warranty.... but they are too new to the market to be such and i lost a lot of faith with them with their poor drives of recent times, .

over the next few days i will see if i can get my current drive working... if i can get its bad sectors marked out it may do as a temp storage drive for my media pc which currently only has a 160gb partition for movies.......

btw i believe after running a checkdisk the bad sectors are blocked out and written to firmware. is this true? if so, does that mean if i do a further surface scan it SHOULD come up all green as it will skip any bad sectors?

thanks again

17. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    It's one of those things that's hard to find any concrete information on. I think the drive firmware maintains its own g-list transparently to the OS (and reported in the SMART info), whereas tools such as CHKDSK only maintain a bad sector map at an OS level (which may or may not also be maintained by the firmware if the firmware truly believes the physical sector to be bad when reading/writing to that sector).

If I start getting SMART threshold alerts in the Windows system log or any CHKDSK bad sectors, I'd be inclined to toss out the drive pronto from past experience.

18. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    well my new drive is on order, so anything i do now is purely for interest purposes :).

it does boggle me it is not easier to find out this sort of thing..... like running a scan to see the bad sectors on a disk.. that is great and all but what on earth is the point if there is no option to block them out (i wasted 3 hrs doing a surface scan before learning that it was the cmd prompt scandisk command i needed to actually move stuff off the bad sectors - and hopefully tho not sure - block them off from the disk.

19. boltlock

boltlock
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,248
  20. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    actually i got my price wrong.. it was £56.50!

i did hover over the 3TB but decided i simply do not need that much space, i dont have that many games on the go at once!.

btw assuming it is accurate this answers all my questions

How Does ChkDsk Recover Data and Repair Bad Sectors? - Storage

so in theory, after the chkdsk is finished i should be able to do a full scan disk and see green lights accross the board. it will be interesting to see if that is the case.

21. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,587
    As I understand it, the disk repair utilities will attempt to recover 'soft' bad sectors and mark 'hard' bad sectors as unavailable although I assume the latter happens within the partition table rather than the firmware level so if the drive was wiped completely and reinstalled the bad sectors would come back.

It's not unusual for a drive to have bad sectors after a while but the giveaway is if they keep coming back, odd file corruption and unusual software issues are often typical of a hard drive on the way out. If you're not using it already the command line tool chkdsk is quite handy as you can see what it's finding as it goes along, it's usually possible to get a feel for whether the hard drive is screwed or not. My inclination as others have said that when these symptoms occur is to bin the drive as they're more hassle than they're worth when they start down that path.

John

22. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    well. The new drive is ordered now but after a full chkdsk repair which took 18 hrs to complete and blanked off 20 sectors I ran it again, and it completed in somewhere between 15 and 30 mins with no errors found. also its running a lot better. it seems the drive has been giving me jip for some time now without me realising - why didn't windows warn me the drive was faulty? when I went into disk diagnostics the log file had 100s of warnings!!!!!

anyway, just had a successful gaming session so I am good to go until the new drive arrives.

23. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    Wouldn't push it too hard mate.

24. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    well if the worst comes to the worst, everything important is backed up. I ran another chk disk last night after a gaming session. 3 more bad sectors found and locked off. Seems it is deteriorating fairly fast, still, only needs to last another few days. I figure its probably not even worth using for temp storage however if its gaining new bad sectors every day so i fear silicon heaven awaits this drive.

25. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    Just remember you are going to be working it hard when shifting your stuff over to the new hard drive so let it rest up til its all sorted then go Rambo on its ass.

26. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    i have an old pc which in itself is probably fit for silicon heaven. if i can be bothered i may do an experiment to see just how prone to damage when being knocked harddisks are....

once i am done backing up i could put in the old machine, set up a defrag then run a series of knocks, ending with hammer blows, to see how hard it is before bad things happen!.

destruction with the pretence of science.... its what mythbusters do all the time ;)

27. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    I'd take the cover off and see how long it can run exposed to unfiltered air :D

28. 13thBen

13thBen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have important files on that disk then salvage it. If not dump it!!

29. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Today i learned.... Stripping a pc to put in a new harddisk with 17month old is a bad bad idea. He managed to put a thumbscrew in the pc wedged between the aio cpu cooler pump and some capacitors on the mainboard. Forgetting that his mum would kill me if she knew i had allowed him to get on chokable things, i had to take off the pump and then realised i have no more of my high end cpu spunk. I put it back on but pc now runs hoter under load so gonna have to do it all again.

Transferring the files went well at least, only 1 read error on file in doom 3 which will come in when i sync with steam again.