1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth replacing my Sony 725?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by astonbilla, Jul 17, 2002.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all - hope you can help.

I've had a Sony 725 for over 2 years now. I have recently thought about buying a new player, just for the craic.

My budget is £500 and less, are the new clutch of players like the Pioneer 646 or the Sony 900 going to offer me anything new or better than what i've already got?

Also, is it just me or does every new player seem to have multiregion without a multi mod thingy?, is this future proof? what happens if a new RCE comes in etc?

Guys, thank you so much in advance

Bill

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    astonbilla, I changed from a 525 to a 900 because of lip sync problems. I thought I should go all out for top spec but to be honest I just spin and watch. I find RGB too dark (as 525 ) and the picture memory is disc rather than player based.Without comparison to another I am happy, no format probs and top spec to mess with one rainy day.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    @ astonbilla

I went the same way as Ged. From 525 to 900 recently.

Why ? Just for the crack of it I suppose.

Used to have lip-sync problems on the 525 until I had it modded. Great new chip that I had put in that which not only cracked multiregion but CGMS as well.

The 900 although remote modded does will not disable macro and definitely not CGMS.

As a player though the 900 is vastly superior in pic quality terms over the 525. I use it to a Panasonic 47PT1 RPJ and an AE100. Build quality and finish of the machine is also stunning ( I got Silver). Lovely new remote to boot.

As far as the 725 is concerned that is still rated highly by many for it's pic quality and I suppose the NS900 is simply the latest incarnation of it. You do get the addition of compnent socketry but no progressive.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, but you won't be disappointed overall I would have thought.

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    astonbilla, I forgot to mention that instead of chipping the 900 I indulged in a US Toshiba 4700 which is IMHO a better player, with DVD-A. Much easier to navigate through the menus and keep watching the movie plus 3 player based picture memories. If this sounds like the UK 510 version then I would give it serious consideration, modded if nec. Ged