Is it worth paying extra for HDMi cables

Plasmoo

Standard Member
My first post here so please be gentle.

I have just ordered a Samsung PS42Q97HDX from JL & have ordered the Virgin V-Box so I can record some stuff & await any HD prog's that Virgin might buy in, might be a long wait :), so I want to get the best picture I can with this budget setup.

I have seen some Linx gold plated HDMi cables on Amazon for around £16 but wonder if paying the extra for some QED cables at around £40 would really give me a better picture given the TV I have ?.

Thank in advance

Gary

reckless

Short answer: No.

Don't waste your money. I've got four different cables, priced between £4 and £30 (had to get one on the day I made an impulse buy of an upscaling DVD). There's no difference between any of them - it's a digital signal, it either works or it doesn't.

I understand that the only time it's worth paying out is if you need a really long HDMI lead.

StealthHD

Banned
Short answer: No.

Don't waste your money. I've got four different cables, priced between £4 and £30 (had to get one on the day I made an impulse buy of an upscaling DVD). There's no difference between any of them - it's a digital signal, it either works or it doesn't.

I understand that the only time it's worth paying out is if you need a really long HDMI lead.

Well I have to disagree with you on that because I have a few hdmi and dvi leads and there is a difference in them. I have noticed the absence of noise on the more expensive leads I have and overall picture quality is better.
If you are spending upto £30 then a £5 lead will do the same job as the £30 model, but when you start spending into the £70+ or a £100+ then you do start to see a difference. I Know this has been talked about a thousand times and a lot of people say they all do the same thing but IMHO they dont.

AdrianMills

And even then you don't have to pay a huge amount to get extremely well built and heavily shielded cables - http://bluejeanscables.co.uk/store/dvi/index.htm will do a 1080p capable 30 foot HDMI for 35 quid. I have several and I can say they really are constructed well - possibly too well for short distances.

AdrianMills

Well I have to disagree with you on that because I have a few hdmi and dvi leads and there is a difference in them. I have noticed the absence of noise on the more expensive leads I have and overall picture quality is better.
If you are spending upto £30 then a £5 lead will do the same job as the £30 model, but when you start spending into the £70+ or a £100+ then you do start to see a difference. I Know this has been talked about a thousand times and a lot of people say they all do the same thing but IMHO they dont.

Cables, any cables at any price, can be badly engineered and extra cost is absolutely no guarantee of an increase in quality. Conversely, it is possible to get very good inexpensive cables that will perform as well and probably a lot better than over priced snake oil.

If you have excessive noise with your cheap cables then they will probably be badly shielded or terminated, but even so, you should not tar all inexpensive cables with the same brush.

SlinkDaddy

Its not worth it, trust me. Ive got two 0.75m kimber HDMI cables and they are no different to a standard cable. As long as the cable works to the HDMI standard there doesnt seem to be any difference.

I'll defend mains cables and mains purifiers til the cows come home in the right situation along with all sorts of other connections and cables etc but dont get an expensive HDMI/DVI lead its a waste of cash.

If you must part with your money go for the very cheapest one of a good brand like QED etc. I personally would just get a normal cable for about a tenner if i were you.

It is however possible that the freebie cables that come with some appliances may be poorly constructed and therefore potentially reduce quality.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member

I find it very hard to rationalise how you could have increased picture quality on a more expensive HDMI cable. Do you have any supporting arguments/links for this?

SlinkDaddy

I find it very hard to rationalise how you could have increased picture quality on a more expensive HDMI cable. Do you have any supporting arguments/links for this?

Is it wise for a mod to incite a thread that is likely to end up drivelling on about double blind tests against the merits of one persons eyes when they have just installed their new expensive cable and want to see a difference? Given that there is a fair chance you have probably seen and closed down several of them already i'm not too convinced.:boring:

The op wanted advice on whether its worth getting an expensive HDMI cable. Just for a change why dont we all keep to that rather than just ending up with another cables thread closed for bickering.:thumbsup:

Icm76

I find it very hard to rationalise how you could have increased picture quality on a more expensive HDMI cable.

The cable engineering theory & articles really support the notion that a cable will work until it gets so long that it fails to transmit the data correctly. If your 1s & 0s ever become corrupted then the result should be obvious.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/belden-hdmi-update.htm
(skip down to the section about 'Eye-Pattern testing')

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/hdmi-cables.htm

You might find more by googling:
HDMI cable eye pattern testing
Silicon Image HDMI certification
SimplayHD

jon_c0

The op wanted advice on whether its worth getting an expensive HDMI cable. Just for a change why dont we all keep to that rather than just ending up with another cables thread closed for bickering.:thumbsup:

Ummm...but how could that happen without folk just posting "yes" or "no" without any rationale behind their statements?

In direct response to the OP - why not by a cheap cable that looks reasonably durable for now. If everything looks fine, then great, if not, you haven't lost much and you can explore the world of stated differences with more expensive cables. As mhsslinky points out, however, this is a can of worms often discussed on these forums. I know where my money lies, and that's not on a £40 cable backed up by a positive review from What Hi-Fi :).

Plasmoo

Standard Member
:thumbsup:

Thanks all that information is very helpful.

I have purchased a £14 gold cable from Amazon so I don't have to use the one that comes with the V box & I hope that this will give a fair picture.

Best regards all

SlinkDaddy

Ummm...but how could that happen without folk just posting "yes" or "no" without any rationale behind their statements?

We all gave an answer with an explanation, not just a yes or a no answer. The problem comes when somebody expresses their opinion on what their cables did for their system (stealthhd used the prefix IMHO in his post) and then another member (in this case a mod) asks them for quantifiable proof of what is their opinion at the end of the day, whilst knowing full well there won't be any.

I have seen god knows how many threads on cables end up closed in the last year or so because of bickering over what one persons eyes see and what other people believe to be the facts with regards to HDMI tech specs etc. Guess what they all start with one person stating what a difference their cables made, then someone asking them for proof about their findings and then it finishes up with people resorting to saying stuff like "your imagining the improvement cos you want to justify the money you spent on the cable". Then the thread gets closed.

The point i was trying to make was that given Choddo is a mod and obliged to come on here daily and read the posts he will already know there are a lot of posts closed on this topic and therefore i couldnt understand why he felt motivated to ask the question because by asking it the thread is more likely to turn into an arguement. Dont get me wrong its a prefectly fair question and i suspect my views on HDMI cables are the same as Choddo's, i just dont get why a mod would get involved in a thread on cables with that kind of question.

forrestgump

hdmi, dvi, phono, mains....all these cable discussion threads always end up with arguments and hissy fits, my advice is buy a cheap one, watch TV, swap it for an expensive one, watch TV, if no differnece to your trained eye use the cheap one, bit obvious really!!!

jon_c0

We all gave an answer with an explanation, not just a yes or a no answer. The problem comes when somebody expresses their opinion on what their cables did for their system (stealthhd used the prefix IMHO in his post) and then another member (in this case a mod) asks them for quantifiable proof of what is their opinion at the end of the day, whilst knowing full well there won't be any.

mmm...the thing is, everything is opinion here and, being a discussion forum, opinions are necessarily open to question and debate in order to give an insight into validity. The only way you'll disuade people from questioning others opinions is to not express a rationale to actually question i.e. a "yes" or a "no" - that could be the death of a discussion forum :). I also believe it's not a given that debates of this type should turn into a slanging match; it's personalities and egos that cause such arguments, not the views expressed/questioned. To be honest I've no problem with a moderator expressing a view, as long as it's done politely and constructively. With regard to Choddo's question, I'd be interested in reading something that I haven't already seen that pitted HDMI cable against HDMI cable - I'm skeptical of the benefits of expensive HDMI cables, other than durablity, but I'm perfectly open to being proved wrong, especially if it lead to me getting better PQ.

Having said that - I too have been here before in discussions on leads (and with Loewe owners) so I do understand your point :).

SlinkDaddy

I agree with everything you are saying Jon, and i agree that questions such as that are a perfectly reasonable one to ask. I just dont get why a mod would bother to ask it when he must have seen it all before so many times.

Im going on about it too much so i'll do my best to leave this thread alone now.:smashin:

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
Is it wise for a mod to incite a thread that is likely to end up drivelling on about double blind tests against the merits of one persons eyes when they have just installed their new expensive cable and want to see a difference? Given that there is a fair chance you have probably seen and closed down several of them already i'm not too convinced.:boring:

I mirror your concerns. The intention was to avoid such a meltdown but perhaps I addressed it poorly :)

As for why I raised it, I just don't like to see people like the OP encouraged to part with £100 on HDMI cables with no serious justification. I've been surprised in the past about things I thought I was 100% correct on, and I don't close my mind to the possibility that might be the case here too. Just asking in case there is any new electronic engineering evidence/theory being brought to bear on this.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom