is it worth paying a bit extra for a Asus n66u router over the n55u?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Chuck_Norris, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi,

I suffer with poor wireless signal in my house so have been looking at the n66u and a tplink modem combo to see if I can get better coverage around my house. I live in a new build house but there are so many other routers in range 2.4 is saturated.

Considering I'm only on a 3 meg sky connection is buying this router overkill and would the previous model n55u which has a built in modem suit my needs? I'm hoping that one day BT will fibre enable my cabinet so I can get fttc so if I buy the n66u I'll be future proofing myself right?

Any opinions are welcomed :)

2. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    If it's problem wireless performance round the house have you considered BT Business Direct - Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (1833) to provide optimum performance in current problem areas

I'm not a tplink fan and can recommend Billion 7800n http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002TOKGL8/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550945749&ref=asc_df_B002TOKGL8

I'm not sure if this will help the wireless problem though and, also, am aware that Sky can be picky about routers other than the ones they supply. Sure others can advise about that

3. whitestar96

whitestar96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have the N66U & have been very happy with it.

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    How Wi-Fi really works here.

"Signal from the router" is but one of many factors that affect performance and coverage. Almost no-one considers "signal from the client" - rarely do we see anyone enquiring about boosting the signal from their iSomething (or whatever.)

Wi-fi output is limited by law (in the UK) and most kit is already at or close to the permitted max. Just don't expect to find some uber-router with "twice the signal" of anything else. In any case...

By far the best way to "fix" wi-fi coverage problems it to put up additional outpost wi-fi AP's cabled back to your router to fill in the coverage holes. If installing cables is not possible, then you could consider tunnelling the backhaul links over the mains electrical circuit using the sort of kit suggested a few posts back. Thus, you create a "cellular" coverage pattern.

It would also be a more efficient use of your money than junking your exsiting router and buying another to instead invest in additional AP's or AP/Homeplug combos.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  5. Hochwertiger

Hochwertiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got N66u attached to sky ADSL modem router (in modem mode) by ethernet into the cable port - I understand some people have to update the firmware to make it work. I can recommend it although I hear the DSL Asus is also good - but you will have to extract you username and password if you want to put it in (for Sky anyway).

6. charles_b

charles_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Yep the dsl-n55u is a great piece of marmite :D

Seriously, I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and apart from intial teething issue with stock firmware, it's running beautifully on the latest Beta.

Happy here - with PlusNet.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013