Is it worth ordering DAB with a new car

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by colin45, Aug 21, 2006.

1. colin45

colin45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just ordered a new car and noticed that they supply as a extra a factory fitted DAB radio would this be worth a try

2. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    If the area in which you normally drive has good dab reception then i see no reason why not, i presume it wont be dab only and you will still have fm?

3. colin45

colin45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I live in South London and the reception at home is OK I think I am the first one to ask for a DAB radio at the dealership because they do not seem to no to much about them

4. richard340

richard340
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes it certainly is. I had a Bluespot DAB 52 in my previous car, a Citroen Xantia. When I bought a new Honda Accord the sound system had no BAB option. After a few weeks I missed DAB so much I had a Revo unit installed. Both cars had good external aerials and reception is excellent throughout the East Midlands (with the exception of Nottingham) There is no hiss, no hesitations you get with FM, even with RDS. Despite what some say on this forum, sound quality on most stations is very good. Also important is the huge choice. If you have Digital TV, imagine going back to analogue with just five channels. After getting used to DAB I am sure you would not want to go back to FM/AM.

5. AcerKev

AcerKev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Definatly worth it - in FM blackspots (which are scattered thoughout Nottingham) mine falls back onto DAB and in the DAB blackspots it flicks to FM. When you have a decent DAB signal (as I do on the local services) you get so much more choice - XFM being the biggest draw for me.

On the likes of Heart 106.0 and Saga 106.6 my in car DAB never falls back on FM, not had it drop out on XFM (the local multiplex) except at the bottom of a multistory car park (where the top level is surface level). Immedently outside Nottingham even the nationals start working perfectly :)

6. Oakwood

Oakwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would certainly go for it Colin to widen the choice.
    Here in Derby I can enjoy Virgin, XFM, and Galaxy which are not available here on FM, and the audio quality is decent on those channels. Also "hiss and crackle-free" reception of Classic FM and Radio 3.
    Just make sure you have a decent aerial fitted to get the full advantage!

7. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23,258
    I’ve got a Blaupunkt DAB35 Nashville

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/nashville.asp

In a bad signal area the sound fades out before it gets to the bubbling mud stage. Th eguy who fitted it hid the aerial in the cars back bumper so you wouldn’t even know it was there. The DAB aerial for the car I got from a supplier on E-bay. I listen to Talksport a lot so it’s good for that. When I’m in a new area I like to hunt to see what the local DAB radio programmes are like.

Where I live WM puts up scrolling traffic reports of congestion during the day. Sports programmes put up scores on the scrolling text on a Saturday.