Is it worth me upgrading from a Toshiba SD210E to a SD510E..?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Firefox, May 28, 2002.

1. Firefox

Firefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I am thinking of upgrading my year old Toshiba SD210E DVD Player, Is it worth me upgrading to a Toshiba SD510E...?

Any advice is appreciated

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I doubt it unless you need any of ther 510 featurs, Progscan etc money probably better spent on SUB/Speakers or Cables, not as exiting but the technology hasnt changed between the 210 and 220 much so a jump to a 510 would not really be worth it unless you have a PJ or HDTV

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing as you can get around £150 to £180 on eBay for a decent nick Tosh 210, it's worth sticking it on there and adding another £70 of your own cash and going for the 510.

I have the 210 and the 510 and the 510 does noticeably outperform it, sound mainly but PQ is better also.

4. Firefox

Firefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Thanks for replying guys , I already have a buyer for the 210 , I would like to hear from more 510 owners on the performance advantages of this machine over the 210

Thanks again for any advice

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 510 also has the latest version of the Vaddis Zoran chipset, version V (five) I believe. It also looks better and comes with a much better menu system, set-up features and remote control.

6. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi

Just got my 510 yesterday, to replace my classic 2109, and i am impressed, very much so, will try out DVD-A later this week. Pic quality is mightly impressive, very fast loading of disc, and the machine barely makes a sound.

Im using a SQART AV4110, but if you will be using to output progressive to plasma or projecter the connections at the back are gold plated, a nice touch, all for 259.

7. Firefox

Firefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    What is DVD-A...?
    is this some new standard..?

thanks again everyone

8. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    What's the layer change like? I currently have a Tosh 100E which I think is basically the same as a 2109, and the layer changes always annoy me. Also, is the picture quality noticeably better on the 510? Thanks!

9. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34

Layer change? Well I've not noticed it yet! I was reluctant to upgrade my precious 2109, seeing all the players my mates have bought in the mean time, i always thought mine was better pic quality, however, having seen a few movies with the 510e now my eye is 'trained' to itand yes there is a clearer sharper pic, which is a difficult thing to do with Tosh players as they generally are excellent anyway.

Also tried DVD-audio last night (Beethoven 9th), got nothing else to compare with, but quite enjoyed it!