1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it worth me getting a scaler?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Docta teef, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I ve decided i wont be bothering with sky HD when it comes out (partly due to the fact that i only have component and vga leads running to my pj) so im wondering if it would be worth investing in a scaler.
    I d be inputing a sky+ box and a pio 757 dvd to a themescene h56.
    Ive seen both the iscan ultra and hd on line for reasonable prices but im not sure how much of an improvement they would make over the projectors internal scaling.

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The iScan ultra won't be better than the ThemeScene's own scaler but the HD will give a significant improvement. Have you also thought about the Lumagen range? - I am running an HDP here with a ThemeScene H57 and it gives a massive improvement particularly for Sky.

3. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I havent thought about the lumagen as its quite a recent thought as upto now the idea had been to get sky HD.Two questions 1) When you say the hd would be a significant improvement how significant would it be 2) how would the lumagen compare and what kind of price do they go for (thats 3 questions isnt it)

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The Lumagen DVI (the entry level model) is very similar to the DVDO HD but has rather more in the way of picture adjustment facilities than the HD. As an ISF calibrator I particularly like the multi-point gray-scale adjustment / gamma adjustment that you get on the Lumagen. That said, the HD is good and both will improve the Sky picture - by how much? - that's a hard one - enough that most ordinary viewers will see an obvious improvement. The HDP is next up the Lumagen range and is a more powerful processor which can output up to 1080p (though that is academic with the H56). The DVI is about £795, the HDP about £1300.

5. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I think theres a good chance the extra facilities would end up lost on me so it would more likely come down to cost. The other factor to concider is that next year i may upgrade my pj perhaps to the h79 (assuming that its the current model(wont be)) would any of these scalers stil be an improvement or would it be best just to put the moey into the pj?

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The H79 is significantly better than the H57 so would be a good upgrade. If you watch a lot of Sky via the PJ then a scaler now is worth considering. Even with the H79 the scaler will give big improvements.

7. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    cheers piers think it may be time to spend some cash again

8. big_marcelo

big_marcelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can spare the cash, the HDP is more future-proof option than the DVI.... greater processing power and reserves for future upgrades.... even full de-interlacing and processing for 1080i is on the cards .... that would be cool!

In Australia the Lumagen range is terribly overpriced against the competition... left me no choice but to go the DVDO route.

The HDP is about $1,000 more expensive than the DVDO VP30 in Australia.... that's too much really... in the US Lumagens are much more realistically priced and I believe the same is true in the Uk.... lucky Bas#$@!

Cheers,

Marcelo