1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth me getting a projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dan110, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My knowledge of projectors is extremely limited so I have a few questions before I consider buying one.

1. can I have a projector in a room that is 13ft long, 9ft wide and 7.5 ft high?

2. If i'm only going to be sitting around 9ft from the screen will it be worth getting a projector?

3. Will I be able to get a good projector setup for 2k or less?

4. How does the picture from a projector compare to rear projection tvs?

Once again apologies if these are dumb questions but I have never seen a projector in action before so I really know nothing about them.

thanks

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1. can I have a projector in a room that is 13ft long, 9ft wide and 7.5 ft high?

Yes. For instance an AE100 would give about a 7' wide image at 13' throw.

2. If i'm only going to be sitting around 9ft from the screen will it be worth getting a projector?

You may (if you're buying LCD) see "screen door" at that kind of distance. Screen door is the mesh effect you get from the gaps between individual pixels. Usually sitting at a distance of 1.5 times the width of the screen is recommended, though I find it can depend on source material - generally I can sit 10' away from my 8' wide screen without too much screen door visible.

3. Will I be able to get a good projector setup for 2k or less?

Yes. An AE100 can be had for £1219, and the AE200 and 300 are on the horizon. Couple that with a decent DVD player (like the PAL progressive version of the Philips 963 - unfortunately you'd have to import it, as PAL progressive is hard to find over here, and the European version of this player is not prog scan at all), or a computer (but this drops the WAF and ups the tinkering a lot).

4. How does the picture from a projector compare to rear projection tvs?

I can't personally say, but
    this thread should tell you a lot of what you want to know.

3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My room dimensions are silimar to yours, getting a projector is definitely worthwhile. At 9ft viewing distance you will be limited at the size of picture that is acceptable with a panel projector (LCD, DLP etc) because individual picture elements will be visible at much over 6ft wide. You may want to consider a CRT projector if you have the space, you will be able to get a bigger (and better quality) picture using this type of projector.

Have a look in the classified's section, there is a good CRT for sale at the moment, within your budget.

www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55550

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My room is of a similar length as yours, I have used both LCD and CRT in it and I actually feel that the image being large in a small room adds to the experience. In a big room, even a large screen can seem small.

At £2000 budget, you should make crt a big consideration, from what i have seen, crt offers much better value for money and the picture is much nicer.

ad

5. K@o

K@o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dan110

My room's the same length, and I'm sitting 10' from the screen. Just got my AE300 from PriceJapan last night, and would definitely recommend it to anyone! It cost $2000 (~£1300), although I may have to add a £200 VAT bill to that. There's no visible screendoor on the AE300 from that distance, and the colours look great! You'd probably be looking at an image ~7' wide, so you can can get that "cinema" feel! :D

One minus against an RPTV is that you'll need a white/grey wall, or you'll need to build a screen (mine cost £50 to build). BUT, I've heard that if you watch a lot of DVDs on an RPTV, the black borders (on a 4:3 set, or watching 2.35:1 on a widescreen set) can sort-of "burn in" to the RPTV screen. I guess daylight performance would be very similar for both.

And remember that PJs are *a lot* more portable than any TV set!!

Try reading the AE200 from PriceJapan thread in this forum for more AE300 views, or the posts on the avsforum! Loadsa info there too! :)

6. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and remember the RPTV will take up half the room too

7. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned: