Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobbles, Feb 27, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky+ and a Panny E30

Love them both but due to -RAM costing 3 times as much as -R, -R is the only sensible option for archiving

the editing on -R is very limited I am forced to watch whatever I have recorded on sky+ and manually edit out the ads

Anyway I am seriously considering buying a second dvd player capable of playing -RAM

this would allow me to record on sky+, then onto -RAM then edit then onto -R

Is it really worth it?

however, a modded panny dvd would allow me to back up any dvd, not that I am condoning that kind of thing it just may be useful.

If I did get the second panny dvd would pressing play on one remote effect both players, that could be a bit of a nightmare.

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi mate,
    I was going to do the exact thing until I got a reply on here about the current panny dvd players. It seems they show up any edit points made on ram disks. Now how bad this is I don't know. But it was enough to put me off untill the next generation of players come out which should handle ram disks better.

I am seriously considering selling my e30 on ebay and buying an hs2 instead. This would solve the problem. However, having only had the e30 for a few weeks Im a bit reluctant to do so.

However, having seen the advert selling the hs2 for £499-and being fairly sure I can get £350 for my multiregion e30. This would make sense! It would also be cheeper than buying a separate dvd player on top of the e30.

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too saw that advert but I am very dubious

it seems ridiculously low compared to other sites

If I did the same I am fairly sure sky would release editing software after a few weeks just to annoy me

I am also a bit unwilling to take a 100 hit after only owning it for a month

I read somewhere they had stopped making the HS2 and the HS3 will be out in the autumn with an 80Gb drive

the hs2 wouldn't allow back up of dvds and i would only be interested in a multiregion player anyway