1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth it???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dirk_Diggler, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently watch dvd's from my pj through an S-Video cable. Is it worth investing even more money in a component set-up or will the picture difference be so slight that i probably would hardly even notice. It would probably cost me at least another £60 to up the grade. Would it be worth it? :confused:

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    There's really no way to tell without trying it - there's just too many variables.

Depends on the equipment in question, the cables, and your own expectations.

My opinion is that most casual observers would probably not be able to tell the difference unless things were pointed out to them or there is a particular problem with one of the pieces of eqpt/cables - but hopefully we are not casual observers :). I'd always use component in preference to S-video - all other things being equal of course (which, fair enough, in real life they often aren't :) )

Depends on the length of the cables of course, but you can get perfectly good component cables for much less than £60, especially if you can make them yourself.

3. spyder

spyder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component will offer a improvement in picture quailty, but the difference probably wont be as great as you are hoping for. I went form composite to component and then upgraded again to DVI and was expecting a massive improvement each time. The overall improvement was actually minimal though. If I was you i'd sepnd the £60 on DVDs and just enjoy the PJ as it is.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I started with s-vid and was surprised how good the PQ was. Component was better and brought along with it prog scan, I think it's an upgrade worth £60. It cost me £130 (new player plus cables) and I still felt it worth the money. Better value than DVI anyway, which cost a further £160 to get and proved to be no better...PJ :)

5. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    There is a reasonable difference between S-Video and Component, certainly worth the extra £60 in the context of things. Component to DVI is a different matter, I agree with PJTX100 that the investment is not a worth while upgrade unless other equipment dictates the change.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    In my opinion component is only worthwhile if you can do progressive too. Progressive scan makes a great improvement on many projectors.

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Just my observations but I've had the opportunity to compare different players and different inputs over the last weekend or so on my Pioneer 585a and an ancient Samsung 709.

Picture quality was massively better on the Pioneer compared to the old samsung. Like a fog had been lifted.

I also compared both composite and component on the Pioneer. The differences here were less noticeable. The component gave smoother images with no 'tizzing' effect (think that's what it's called) on contrasty edges.

I'd say that source input and your PJ make a bigger impact than the cables used. I borrowed a Themescene H57 for a week a couple of months ago, and hooked that up to my old Samsung via S Video. The picture (to my eyes anyway) was stunning in comparison to the old AE100.

My local dealer lent me the component cables BTW, so you could try the same if you have a good local dealer, or see if they can set up a demo to see if you can notice the difference. £60 is half the cost of new brand name player these days...

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    You don't need to spend a lot of money on component cables - after comparing a few cheap ones and mid priced ones, I couldn't see any difference, and the £5 15m cables from CPC looked excellent value.

Gary.

9. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Yup

Just recently I upgraded from a s vid lead to a HDMI and the difference was noticable but not like woweee my missus did not even notice, If I was you I would put your money towards you dvd collection or you could become a quality bore and spend more time messing round with your setup and less time enjoying the movies (Like Me doh doh).

Good luck

Darko

10. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Definitely worth the upgrade - I've just upgraded to a prog scan player and component and it's a huge improvement.

£60 well spent if you ask me.