1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth it???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by lostprophet, Jan 18, 2005.

1. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi guys, was hoping someone could please offer some advice!

I don't know if the way I have my system connected is really the best way.

Currently everything is connected to my sony AV amp (CD, DVD, Subwoofer, centre, surrounds)and have the pre-outs running to my Marantz stereo amp driving the front pair.

Thing is I've recently started wondering if this is worth it. I know the Marantz isn't the greatest and is it even any better than my AV receiver in stereo? Also the marantz is only quoted at 50w and the sony is 100w so will this affect the sound for movie watching?

I guess if either answers are yes I can sell the Marantz and put the funds towards a new piece of kit! :D :devil:

Thanks

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The marantz may only be rated at 50w but might drive the speakers better, i tried my stereo amp connected like that and it was better than the sony but not enough for me to mess about using it as a power amp.Why not use it in another room with the cd player.

3. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could be wrong but I think part of the reason for using a dedicated stereo amp to drive the front pair is so that you can connect the CD player directly to it and not through the Sony AV amp. Could someone else confirm this?

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I would say thats wrong in low buget av amps ,most have poor amps.I found that using the preamp in the sony av or the kenwood amp gave the same sound but when using the kenwood as the amp i could clearly tell the difference especially at higher volume where the sony's sound became harsh, nothing to do with the preamp in the sony clearly showing it as poor output amps.You might get different results with different equipment though.

5. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks for sharing that and helping out bob1 (yet again!). Thats what figured, never actually tried it with just the sony in stereo as I got both amps within a week of each other (the sony being the latter) so just wired it all up together straight away. Glad you had a similar experience. Guess I was just wondering whether the Marantz was good enough to wanted being part of the system and whether using the Sony's pre-amps negated any effect the Marantz would have.

Andy t, I would agree with what you said but as my front pair are a bit lacking in bass I wanted to have my sub playing in stereo too so had to go through the Sony's pre-amps as the Marantz lacks any.

Cheers for the help guys, such a helpful forum!