Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Johnson23, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Johnson23

Johnson23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, please can I ask for some advice?
    My local JL is selling a 'used' Samsung PS51D6900D for £795. It has no box or books, but has the remote. There are a few scratches on the stand.
    They have said that it is not an ex display model and it is return from online shop. If it was an ex display and has had 6 months heavy shop use do you would you buy it, or won't the useful life of the plasma tv be affected?
    Its only £100 less than online prices. I'm not sure that its such a great bargain. What do you guys/gals think? It has the JL 5 year guarantee included. No 3d glasses. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Johnson23

Johnson23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I forgot to any that the picture was a bit dark and darker than the 46" ST30 next to it. Guess that could be adjusted with the settings?

3. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  4. Johnson23

Johnson23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the quick reply Vickster. Do you think heavy all day shop use would affect the life of the tv?

5. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Not necessarily as they should last 100k hours, 25+ years. But Samsungs can get image retention and there is a risk of burn. 5 year warranty will help, but these aren't always covered as considered 'normal' for plasma to some extent

£900 or so with glasses delivered. Buy from JL, glasses will cost for a pair (or do they have them in the box as I think might be so now?)

Only you can decide on this one :)

6. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +971
    Tricky one! As you say, it's only £100 less than a new one from a web retailer. But the one from the web won't have a 5 year guarantee.

I tend to trust John Lewis, so if they say it's not display I'd probably believe them, depending on the condition of the set. I don't think they'd risk their reputation by making stuff up, especially as there's likely to be a way to check the usage in the service menu.

I'd maybe be tempted, but I'd be trying for another £50 or more off.

I'm not sure about the brightness, but there are a few reviews about for the 51d6900, I'm think there's one here? There are also a couple of long threads about it in the plasma section. I was thinking about buying one a while back, but ended up buying an LCD as my missus seems to love falling asleep with Sky news on :facepalm:

7. Johnson23

Johnson23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Graham27. I think I'll buy a brand new one, if they don't knock another £75-100 off. Have seen on here that you now get 2 pairs of (active?) 3d glasses in the box. This reduced one doesn't have any. JL are doing it for £899 on line.

8. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +971
    Oh right, I didn't realise JL also had new ones in stock. In that case, I'd be having a new one for £899, especially if they also have the specs!

9. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921