1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chrissandgate, Jan 18, 2004.

1. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok fellas, straight answer needed here. I have a Screenplay 4800 (X1 as was) and a Yamaha S540 and I LOVE them both. Maybe more than is healthy. I think I've got them set up about right (I have all the audio malarky down pat, we won't go into all that here), but I wanna get the 'calibration' as good as I can. Until now I have only set the things 'by eye' and with the few patterns and whathaveyou on the THX Setup parts of T2 etc. My question is this...bearing in mind that £15 is still quite a lot of money to me (for 'me' read 'HER'), would the DVE disc be a worthwhile investment? Or are we talking about very minor and subtle changes? Ok, thats 2 questions.

2. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used AVIA to set up my picture and sound on my Panny AE100.
    An I have to say it made a big difference.
    Buying a sound meter also helped.
    I found that I had the brightness too low originally, striving for a better black, but as the disc showed, this was reducing the qualityy and definition in the dark area's.
    I can only speak for AVIA and reccommend it highly.

Ta

Chris

3. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks...any idea where to buy Avia cheap? Don't suppose anyone can rent or lend me a copy for a week? As far as audio goes , I have a SP meter and the sound side is sorted.

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    No. Mainly coz the dve disc aint worth 15quid.

Are you happy with the picture or do you think it looks wrong?

If your happy with it, leave it alone.

I'm all for calibrating and striving for perfection, and like others I'm waiting for Bun's world tour;) , but only if theres a problem. Sometimes trying to improve things will highlight something you hadnt noticed and it then becomes an issue. I hadnt really noticed VB on my Z2 until I went looking for it. Sure enuf I found it and now its an issue.

There are some useful patterns & stuff on the disc but its a nightmare to navigate around the disc and nothing on it has helped the VB problem.

I think the dve discs and the like have a bit of a placebo effect and if you want perfection you have to let a pro do his job or at least get to use his tools.

Only my opinion of course based on using, or trying to use, the DVD disc.

5. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, fair enough. Its easy to worry about the trivial things, you're right...I'm just gonna enjoy the damn thing now, safe in the knowledge that my 4800 is loads better than any old Z2 or Panny 300.:laugh:

6. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Oi, with an attitude like that I'll sell you my 15quid drinks mat :laugh:

7. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done mate....want me address?:D

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    World tour starting........ :D I have ideas, you never know what might come!

I actually only looked at the thx patterns quite recently...... to be honest they achieve quite alot for a free thing chucked in! If you want a basic calibration without spending any significant time, i reckon these patterns will suffice. But AVIA is fantastic and well recommended if you want to do more indepth studies. Also it has plenty of interesting stuff beyond the patterns.

ad

9. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What!? You mean all that wonderful space shuttle footage (=filler) isn’t worth £15? :D

Actually, I did find some of the patterns useful - especially in the reference section - but then it was a lot of £ to pay just for them.

10. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if I'm allowed to ask here, but if anyone has bought AVIA or DVE and no longer has a use for them, or thought they were crap anyway then I would consider helping you recoup some of the cost. In other words, anyone want to sell me a copy on the cheap?