Is it worth it to overclock an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X?

GameDos

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am considering whether or not I would notice any significant increase in performance if I OCed the CPU in this system:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix x570-F Gaming

GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 OC

RAM: 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz (4x16)

Case: CORSAIR ICUE 5000X RGB with Corsair 150i RGB pro xt hydro series cooler and 2 120mm thermaltake toughfan 12 fans

Ryzens don't generally overclock too well. What you should look at is undervolting. I've found they run at a high voltage out of the box. For example mine was running @4.6 GHz at 1.35V. I've reduced this to 4.45GHz at 1.225V, which has reduced the temps by over 10°C with no noticeable performance difference.

Upvote 0
I guess it will depend on whether the CPU is bottlenecking anything. If you have something like Rivatuner/HWINFO running and you can see that a single core is consistently 100% then an OC might help. This is likely for older applications and games which were written around 1 or 2 cores.

What apps and games are you using?

Upvote 0
I guess it will depend on whether the CPU is bottlenecking anything. If you have something like Rivatuner/HWINFO running and you can see that a single core is consistently 100% then an OC might help. This is likely for older applications and games which were written around 1 or 2 cores.

What apps and games are you using?
I havent ordered it yet, I am buying a custom PC and the vendor offers OCing service (thus I am still covered by their warranty, which isnt the case if I do the OCing myself).

I plan on playing shooters (CSGO, Valorant, Battlefield 5) or RPG games (AC games, Witcher 3, Borderlands, maybe the upcoming Far Cry). If it matters, I am also planning on a 4k 144Hz+ single monitor setup.

Upvote 0
OK, got it. I'd be interested in what kind of OC they are proposing (single core, all cores).

I've tinkered with my 3700X and overclocking and ultimately just left it alone.

Upvote 0
A Ryzen 5900x is not like processors from years ago where you had to take risks to overclock. For your games it will be fine.

Upvote 0
Short answer: no.
Long answer: no.

Upvote 0
I had never run a cpu at stock since 1994 (my IBM 486 blue lightning DX3 75 was not quite stable at 3x33mhz so I had to run at stock but it was stable enough to give me a taste

However......... My AMD 5800x is running at stock. So my 1st CPU in over 25 years at stock. I even have a completely overkill AIO cooler from my heavily overclocked i7 5820k on it.

But there is just no need. I am not even over clocking my RTX 3090 tho that may change in the future (I actually under clock it whilst mining)

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom