1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth investing in a motorised dish..?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by SimonO, Dec 3, 2003.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I'm currently planning a Sky+ install to replace my existing NTL digital service... I'm also interested in receiving Euro1080 via an HCPC whilst I'm at it... I've pulled three runs of WF125 to the loft, two for the Sky+ and the third for Euro1080...

Questions...

Having now been told that I need planning permission for two dishes, can I get Sky+ and Euro1080 on the same dish with multiple LNB's..?

If not can I get Sky+ and Euro1080 via a motorised dish..?

If Sky+ has to be on a separate dish is it worth investing in a second (motorised) dish for anything other than Euro1080..? Is there anything worth watching on the many other satellites..?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Better to wait until the new year I'd say before spending loads on motorised dishes etc...

I'd suggest a small(ish) dish & DVB card for Euro 1080 for the moment - less than £100 should do it.

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Suppose it depends on what you are after.

If you do not have Sky
    There are lots of free to air channels that are part of the Sky package on 19.2 deg east and 13 degrees east such as the various incarnations of MTV, VH1.

If you like erotic entertainment there are lots of channels accessible using a PC card such as the Skystar 2 and a softcam which is a software based decryption system or a matrix cam will be easier. You can also find plenty of movie channels available using these methods but not all are in English.

If you are interested in viewing your news raw then there are plenty of news feeds around on the various satellite.

All depends on how much patience and motivation you have.

I have a dedicated 1.2 metre dish which I have hooked up to the PC, Nokia 9200 and a Echostar 3000IP. I also have Sky+ on the normal 45cm dish.

I have not got planning permission for the big dish but it is fairly well hidden and if the neighbour does say anything I will remind him of the 2 metres of council land he stole to widen his drive which he neglected to get permission for. :devil:

Darren

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think initially I'm after Sky+ and any other HD feeds available (currently only Euro1080)... I've already got NTL digital and I can live without 95% of the channels, so Sky+ will be no different...

Can I not buy a single larger dish and fit the Sky+ quad LNB with a second LNB pointing at the Euro1080 satellite..? Or are the two satellites too far apart for a single dish/twin LNB installation..?

If it is possible, would this degrade either or both feeds..?

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Simon,

I'm sure what you are proposing would be fine as the satellites you want are only 9 degrees apart. I'm sure the guys at www.brymar.co.uk would be able to advise on the equipment you'd need.

Steve

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks Dutch...

I've done a bit more research and it looks like I can get away with an 80cm parabolic dish with three LNB's (for 28.2, 19.2 and 13 degrees)... I've pulled three runs to the dish site so two will go onto quad LNB for Sky+ and the third to the other two LNB's via a DisEqc switch to a PCI card (probably a Skystar 2)...

I'll worry about encryption nearer the time but with a PC I should at best be able to use software or at worst buy a card reader...

The only issue I have now is that my wife has just asked what the dish will look like (s**t..!) - I said just like a Sky mini-dish..!

7. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Are you a man or a mouse :D

The dish will be ouside the house not in the living room.

Just buy a 1.2 metre and that will really wind her up.

My wife does not mind what I buy, where I put it or what it looks like and quite frankly I would not care if she did.

Darren

8. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If your wife doesn't mind where you put it, you're a lucky man..! ;)

9. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Bit more research and I now know what I'm doing... I would need a 1m plus dish for all three satellites and a motorised dish is a waste of time because I don't have line of sight across all of the arc so I'm going for two smaller dishes, one for Sky+ and the other with a monobloc LNB for 19 and 13... They will be up on the chimney so I don't think anyone will object...