Is it worth going for a 7.1 system in a small room?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by brattle, Dec 10, 2001.

1. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm just about to take the plunge with some new AV kit. I demo'd the Denon 3802 and Kef eggs last week and they sounded great. They were even better when an extra two eggs were connected as extra rear speakers for a demo of Gladiator R! on DTS 6.1 ES. This convinced me that it was worth going for the extra speakers.

Since then though, I have been pondering. My living room is tiny (old victorian house) which is why the Kef were such a attraction (small speakers are a must). The sofa is right up against the rear wall, meaning that the extra rear speakers would be right next to my ears if they were placed at the same level as the others. There is no way I can move the sofa forward or it will be inside the TV.

Obviously having the speakers right next to me is far from ideal. Does anyone know if the speakers can be positioned up high facing down to achieve the same effect? Or am I better off forgetting about 7.1 and just plumping for a simple 5.1 solution. Is 7.1 overkill in such a small room anyway?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have the same problem with the sofa back against the wall and decided not to bother with the extra rears.

My rears are already mounted high but I wondered if the extra speakers in such a small area would jumble up the sound.

When I posed the question I got plenty of theory but no answers from anyone who had tried so decided not to proceed.

I may think about it again in the future when there are more suitably encoded discs around.

Ian

3. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Reiner suggested that if you couldn't have the centre rears at least 2 metres (diagonally) behind you, it might not be worth having them.

Regards

Jim:p

PS When I say diagonally I mean not directly behind one's head!

4. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brattle, you post in the EDGE forums don't you? I remember seeing you there talking about 50hz/100hz televisions in the xbox forum. My name there is slade. Remember?

Oh and i wouldn't say it was worth having seven channels in a small room. I have a set of B&W 603's and 601's and even that's pushing the limits of my 4x4 metre room. And a REL Q200 sub to boot :p

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,630
    You only live once.
    I'll let you know how I get on when I put mine up.
    All of them will be hanging from the ceiling using the new Ruark mouting bracket.
    I WILL have EX.

6. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave :), I remember that epic thread ;).

I think I'll go for the five speakers for the moment and wait and see. I have a friend who has the Kef's too, so I may be able to "borrow" a couple of egg and try different things out.

7. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have kht2007's with two directly behind me.Switching between the formats on my amp,makes a world of difference.

The amp will compensate for delay(when you input the distance,as low as 10cm)and you can manually set the db level.

I assume most amps you can do the same with.Mine's a Denon acv11.

I say go for it.

Regards

8. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    The words and diagrams for speaker placement HERE and HERE and HERE make interesting reading/viewing.

Regards

Jim:p