1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth getting....

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Rookies, May 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I am getting sky Plus very soon and am wondering is it worth getting a Stand alone DVD recorder with hard drive such as the Panny. Or is it best to just get DVD recorder without hard drive

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If I didn't have SKY+ or a TIVO already then I would go for the combined HD/DVD recorder otherwise I would save a few quid and just buy a DVD recorder.

Then again the next 12 months or so are going to see major movement in this technology both in terms of price and features so I would wait a while:)

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    A DVDR with a HDD is much more flexible than a DVDR without one. I have Sky+ (which I use for timeshifting) and the Panasonic DVDR/HDD combo HS2 (which I use for archiving). The HDD gives you the flexibility to record everything (regardless of length) in top quality mode, edit as desired and then copy (in flexible record mode) to DVD-R.

You can get the same solution by a number of other methods. Buy a standalone DVDR and a PC DVDR burner. This will, ultimately, give the best result as you can download all the AV tools you could possibly imagine to make professional looking DVDs. However it is a long winded process (because you will be designing menus, adding chapters etc) and not the route if your short of time!

You could also have the HDD/DVDR flexibility with a standard DVDR if you purchased a DVD player compatible with your re-recordable DVD disks. For instance if you have the Panasonic E50 you could buy the S35 or S75 to play back RAM disks to your E50 (which you would have recording in DVD-R).

I can't agree with Starburst here - if you wait in the AV land you'll never buy anything. In fact I would suggest that now is quite a good time to buy a DVDR. Firstly we are not going to see any major new recording features added now - they are already in place. What we will see is EPGs, larger HDD etc - nothing that seriously alters the functionality from what is already available. Also all three formats have gained a sufficient proportion of the marketplace to guarantee there survival for many years to come. Thirdly it is still several years before we will see the next generation high capacity format take over from DVDR.

Certainly the prices will continue to fall but so will the quality. Philips have had terrible trouble with there 880 (some sources suggest upto 50% are faulty). The 'cheap' units from Mico and Daewoo are unlikely to end up in many Home Cinema fans setups. The £400 units are quite a reasonable price all things said and done.