is it worth getting a xbox one

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
I'd say so, as I'm very happy with mine.....but it does depend on which games you want to play though.

Also, as Tones has said.....What bugs are there ?

turk3y

Why do you want to switch? Do you not like Sony single player exclusives?

The Xbox works as you would expect, I can't think of anything bar lack of 3d bluray, local media (avi) playback and full dnla client (although it does act as a dumb recipient so will play some stuff) as bits you would notice not being there, otherwise it's pretty solid now.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Posts like these are a bit of a waste of time. If you want an xbox one and can afford one then buy one. If you don't or can't then do not buy one.

No point posting on a forum dedicated to discussing the system asking others who have the system if it's worth buying it. Especially with such little information about the scenario.

There is enough information and opinion out there about it to make an informed choice. Hell you can even go and play one in most game stores for example.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
As a PS3 gamer, I am interested to know what it is about Xbox One that's got you interested enough to be considering a purchase, over say the PS4, which is going to offer sequels to exclusive titles you're likely already familiar with.

A particular exclusive, Kinect etc?

Zzebedee

If you have a ps4 there's no point getting an xb1 until an exclusive comes out that you really need to play.
The same in applies to xbox1 owners fancying a ps4

chattoe

I agree I have my x1 and now I do fancy a ps4 but will wait for a few more games that I want to play before getting one. Plus there should be better deals then as well. Although I do like the look of that white ps4 sony announced at E3. It looks beautiful! lol

shagaboopon

Check out the games for the PS4 and XBO then decide for yourself which you want to play most. For me it was Microsoft's library and I'm very happy with my purchase but each to their own. Titanfall has been my personal favourite this gen so far.

acrantophis

Bearing in mind that this an av forum, there are some of us who have an interest in the xbox one outside gaming and there are a number of things which have so far deterred buyers mainly the lack of dlna streaming from Nas ect, the usability with tv boxes and availability of flixster ect in the Uk.

leckytech

Can I ask as a long term 360 player why should I buy a xbone over a PS4. By all accounts the PS4 knocks the socks off of the xbone resolution wise and has a much more powerful GPU. I want to buy an xbone and a lot of the guys I played BF with on 360 have an xbone but Im struggling to justify one over the PS4 purely from a hardware perspective. I dont have the full picture of any next gen console, just what Ive read so far so would appreciate what you people on the other side of the fence think. I used to use the media side of the 360 which would have been a plus but have other superior kit now so wouldnt use that side of things and the kinect...pfttt!

Thanks

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Can I ask as a long term 360 player why should I buy a xbone over a PS4. By all accounts the PS4 knocks the socks off of the xbone resolution wise and has a much more powerful GPU. I want to buy an xbone and a lot of the guys I played BF with on 360 have an xbone but Im struggling to justify one over the PS4 purely from a hardware perspective. I dont have the full picture of any next gen console, just what Ive read so far so would appreciate what you people on the other side of the fence think. I used to use the media side of the 360 which would have been a plus but have other superior kit now so wouldnt use that side of things and the kinect...pfttt!

Thanks
If you want the best hardware then yes maybe a ps4 would be best. I would not say the PS4 knocks the socks off X1 IMO. The Destiny beta proved that and that was lower resolution. In the final release they will both be 1080p. Personally I would go with the console that has the games you want and what your friends are playing. Some multiplats are higher res on PS4 but unless you had them both side by side you would hardly notice. And I think Kinect is a great bit of kit.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member

Thanks
Rest assured, the Xbox One is a more than capable bit of hardware and the graphical output difference compared to the PS4 is, to my eyes, negligible on my 50" screen. The hardware difference is just as negligible as it was last gen between the PS3 and 360 to me. There are differences as it's been pointed out to me on several occasions, but it's individual opinion as to whether they're important or not because obviously you don't run two screens side by side picking out differences like they do on Digital Foundry.

But then if you're that bothered about graphical fidelity and not that bothered about leaving your friends behind, a PC should be your choice.

Last edited:

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Get the system that has the games you want to play the most including exclusives. You won't be unhappy with either.

Boozehound

Banned
There is one reason why I genuinely believe the Xbox One is going to end up as the best place for gamers this gen and it's Phil Spencer. You only need to look at the way he's had the balls to reverse almost every stupid decision made by Mattrick and co, his massive focus on games and the way the area he's in charge of has involved us, the console owners, in development of the XB1 OS from irritating as hell (IMO) to fantastically usable and very full featured (which is still improving month by month). This is one area where I think the XB1 destroys the PS4, which has had far less development on a quite basic and old fashioned feeling OS (and I KNOW some people want that, so don't bother telling me. Again.)

The graphical differences are negligible and with the Kinect resources now available, this will become even more difficult to notice for the average gamer. It's already seen Destiny jump from 900p to 1080p so despite what the anti-MS brigade may say, these extra resources do make a difference. I also genuinely think that 3rd party games will almost always be much of a muchness, with exclusives on both consoles looking markedly better than these.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
There is one reason why I genuinely believe the Xbox One is going to end up as the best place for gamers this gen and it's Phil Spencer. You only need to look at the way he's had the balls to reverse almost every stupid decision made by Mattrick and co, his massive focus on games and the way the area he's in charge of has involved us, the console owners, in development of the XB1 OS from irritating as hell (IMO) to fantastically usable and very full featured (which is still improving month by month). This is one area where I think the XB1 destroys the PS4, which has had far less development on a quite basic and old fashioned feeling OS (and I KNOW some people want that, so don't bother telling me. Again.)

The graphical differences are negligible and with the Kinect resources now available, this will become even more difficult to notice for the average gamer. It's already seen Destiny jump from 900p to 1080p so despite what the anti-MS brigade may say, these extra resources do make a difference. I also genuinely think that 3rd party games will almost always be much of a muchness, with exclusives on both consoles looking markedly better than these.
To be fair the regular updates are a function of the systems design and can't be attributed to Spencer as they happened before he got the top job....

Boozehound

Banned
I genuinely don't believe we'd be where we are now with the OS if Mattrick was still involved. Just my opinion though.

leckytech

What happens to my existing xbox live sub if I went X1 does it cover any player on that console or just me, they took away my family account iirc? It was the sheer nerve of what MS initially tried to achieve with no apparent regard for the gamers that pulled me to PC. In addition theyre a bunch of money crabbin gunts [here's a gift for all you loyal xbox users, we are no longer gonna charge for you to watch netflix. Yeah right you're all heart MS] Much as Im reading all your comments and also in some agreement. I find myself getting agitated at the thought of giving them more of my dosh. They dropped the ball this time, it should have been a no brainer for me to buy an X1 instead I choose to splash out £1500 on a PC. I am however missing the craic I used to have gaming with avf. Exclusives mean nothing to me BF,COD[maybe],Destiny,The Division and I suppose I do like a bit of Halo for sh*ts and giggles. Still cant decide though :(

Phil Spencer? Location location? Did someone's head roll for the E3 debacle?

Last edited:

Boozehound

Banned
There has been a massive shift in MS attitudes since those horrific early decisions. They still want your money like every other company, but they now seem (lately at least) to appreciate that consumers won't put up with their crap. I've been very impressed with them to be honest - not many giant corporations would react in the manner or with the swiftness that MS have to right some serious wrongs.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
What happens to my existing xbox live sub if I went X1 does it cover any player on that console or just me, they took away my family account iirc? It was the sheer nerve of what MS initially tried to achieve with no apparent regard for the gamers that pulled me to PC. In addition theyre a bunch of money crabbin gunts [here's a gift for all you loyal xbox users, we are no longer gonna charge for you to watch netflix. Yeah right you're all heart MS] Much as Im reading all your comments and also in some agreement. I find myself getting agitated at the thought of giving them more of my dosh. They dropped the ball this time, it should have been a no brainer for me to buy an X1 instead I choose to splash out £1500 on a PC. I am however missing the craic I used to have gaming with avf. Exclusives mean nothing to me BF,COD[maybe],Destiny,The Division and I suppose I do like a bit of Halo for poops and giggles. Still cant decide though :(

Phil Spencer? Location location? Did someone's head roll for the E3 debacle?
Microsoft are a company just like any other with the primary aim of making money.

Of course they want your money. Pretending that anyone else doesn't is ridiculous. They've actually worked a lot harder for your money over the past 6 months than the competition have. Offering new incentives and value and genuinely responding to feedback.

To be honest I think Boozehound is dead on when he says Phil Spencer has absolutely rejuvenated the xbox brand.

leckytech

Microsoft are a company just like any other with the primary aim of making money.

Of course they want your money. Pretending that anyone else doesn't is ridiculous. They've actually worked a lot harder for your money over the past 6 months than the competition have. Offering new incentives and value and genuinely responding to feedback.

To be honest I think Boozehound is dead on when he says Phil Spencer has absolutely rejuvenated the xbox brand.
I tend to disagree with that. IMO MS arnt like any other company they thought the xbox brand was invincible and could put on its user base any restrictions it felt like. Its only because of the massive backlash that heads had to roll and they are clearly in damage limitation now. Xbox 360 was massive, MS are making people redundant. Im glad changes are being made and they are now listening to the user base, just a shame it took this to get their attention. However Im seriously considering X1 given these improvements and a new figurehead at the helm. Must look that up and have a wee read....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Sonus faber announces Maxima Amator speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL announces new soundbars for UK TV consumers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton