Is it worth getting a upscaling DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David_S, Jun 3, 2008.

1. David_S

David_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've been looking into getting a upscaling DVD player but have seen on the forums here that some TVs have better scalers.

My budget would about £150-£200 for the player. For that I'm looking at things like Cambridge Audio DVD99, Denon 1940, Cambridge Azur 540d V2 etc.

I'll be running it through a Yamaha 363 AV Receiver to a Sony KDL 32U3000 TV.

Not sure if the Yamaha has a built in scaler (quite sure it doesn't but may be wrong - it does have HDMi ports) but the TV will, right?

Which would have the better scaler? DVD player, amp (if it has one) or TV?

Also, I've seen good reviews of the Toshiba EP30. I have a few HD DVDs that I currently play through my Xbox 360. Is the scaler in that as good as those in the players mentioned above?

Thanks

2. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    think the xbox and ps3 have better scalers as its HD and not psuedo HD.

IMHO upscaling under a grand isnt worth it, let the telly do its job

3. gunslinger

gunslinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    agreed, i actually have a Pioneer upscaling DVD (600AV) but, unless the tv does a bad job of scaling, it is usually better to let the tv do it for you.

for my purposes, an upscaler in the DVD was required, as i have it plugged into a standard definition tv, and also a dell 27" monitor which has no upscaler, so it really depends on your display method of choice

4. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    On a 32" screen it really doesn't matter. Just make sure you have a good quality player and a digital connection.

5. farmerpalmer

farmerpalmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If your TV does upscaling, then use that.
    However it is worth getting a HDMI connection between player and TV - so the TV gets the digital signal straight and isn't trying to upscale an analogue signal from a scart

6. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    All HDTVs do. Otherwise SD material would appear as a small box in the middle of the screen.

7. norskmac

norskmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    look at the Oppo players!
    best quality in your price range !

8. imjay

imjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I think that the up scaling/up converting capability of each individual TV and Projector and DVD Player needs to be tested by buying individual.

Our 56in. 1080p HD TV's image processor does a pretty good job of up scaling with component input from dvd player BUT the picture is visibly better when our dvd player does the up scaling with a HDMI link to our TV.

Same with our Panasonic 900U projector. 480p resolution streched over a 120 inch screen doesn't look nearly as sharp compared to HDMI player up scaled output to the PJ.

So, our experience is that our DVD player improved image resolution visibly better than up scaling capability of our tv and projector. Your experience may be different depending on tv and/or projector you own.

Main thing is our dvd player's up scaling makes 480p standard def dvds look near HD quality making our standard def dvd collection look great.

9. alchemistkevin

alchemistkevin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Has anyone done tests to confirm how good the TV scalers are in comparision to say £100-£200 or £500 DVD players?