is it worth getting a scaler with my setup??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chuck_Norris, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    hi:)

i've been trying to read up on scalers to see if it would be worth me getting one, but due to everyone having different setups its hard to gauge.

since they're relatively expensive i'd like some opinions from you experts if poss:lease:

i'm getting rid of sky hd since ii never use it and going down the freesat hd route.

my kit is as follows:-

panasonic ph10 pf50 1080p 50" panel
    humax hdr freesat hd pvr (will be anyway)
    popcorn hour
    onkyo 606 amp
    ps3
    wii

the main thing i'm worried about is the quality of the sd broadcasts on freesat, so thats the main reason i've been considering getting a scaler.

any advice is greatly appreciated:)

cheers

Chuck

2. Mad Monk

Mad Monk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I've used a Lumagen HDQ with my PWD8 and there were noticeable improvements with SD broadcast using Freeview and Vermin Media sources. IMO the scaler does a great job of making junk broadcasts look excellent. Some channels are broadcast with poor bitrates and can look very poor without the scaler in place.

Scaling Freesat HD content gave small improvements but improvements none the less.

Maybe some of the other guys can chip in and let you know the processing and scaling abilities of your TV vs a good budget scaler.

3. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    thanks for the input mate:)

4. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    With my DVDO VP50 currently out of action, I am force back to normal vision, which is no way as good as with the VP in place. As mentioned low bit rate channels see an improvement though making a silk purse from a sows ear isn't possible :eek:

The PreP function in DVDO's certainly improves the 576p output from my SKYHD box. I use mine a lot to downscale 1080p Blurays from the PS3\Popcorn hour to my older Pio panel. If you don't e an amp which support HDMI, a decent VP will be a great video switcher also. I only have 2 coax audio inputs into my amp now - 1 from the VP and 1 from the Squeezebox.

A DVDO Edge seems to be great value for money. If you have untold money go for the Lumagen Radiance...

-Steve

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Isn't it weird how much more you notice what the VP does for you when you have to take it back out again!! Makes demo a little difficult, I can show you all the kinds of artefacts and detail loss you are avoiding but you just don't realise how solid and smooth an image you are getting until you take it back out again!

6. Neophasis

Neophasis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hehe...you are kidding? when i sold my scaler i noticed a huge drop in picture quality like you say..

The picture got soft and unclear and there was no punch in it, pretty flat.

I can't understand people who doesn't use a scaler and probably they should be happy that they never tried one because it's actually like day and night without it.

7. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The Humax Foxsat HD and HDR boxes are not a good option for SD picture quality. They apply digital processing to the picture which smooths out detail and bleeds highlights.

I switched to a Technomate 6900 Super. Good SD picture quality, but not as user friendly like the Humax (eg: no 7 day EPG). When coupled to my DVDO Edge its the best SD picture I've seen. (Technomate has Chromo Upsampling Error (CUE), or it could be the unavoidable Interlaced Chroma Problem (ICP), but the DVDO Edge fixes it.)