1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth getting a PHD8...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by worz, Oct 25, 2005.

1. worz

worz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Having read lots of posts about these panels, I have noticed nearly everyone has or plans to get a scaler. There is no way I can afford a scaler. I just want the best pq I can get from the off, mainly just watching football on SKY and DVD's.
    I was looking at the pv500 and was then pointed to panels as I have a SKY + and a sound system. I know the phd8 will look better on the wall but is it better for me if I just use it ?

all opinions greatfully recieved

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go for the phd8 i reckon. Less things to go wrong

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've got 2 TV tuners and 5+ speakers, how many more do you need? KISS principle, Keep It Simple, Stupid! No personal slight intended, just a useful acronym.

4. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I had similar thoughts. About a day before getting my PHD8, I had an attack of nerves about the internal processing and whether I'd need a scaler.

I've had my screen for a month now and I'm overawed with the PQ without a scaler. Frankly I currently have no interest what so ever in whether I can get better processing because what I see before me is more than good enough. I'm sure that as soon as I see the benefits what a scaler can do for the screen, I'll never look back but for now, I don't care.

I've run DVE and am planning to get ISF, but that's as far as I need to go for now. Hope that helps.

5. stasis

stasis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I am also thinking about a Panasonic panel. I do not expect to have HD content for a couple of years and have seen posts about people seeing little or no difference between HD screens and SD screens that are showing SD content. Main viewing is DVD (Pioneer 668) and occasional Sky freeview.
    I am thinking should I get PWD8 or PHD8.
    Or would PWD8 + Scaler give a better picture for same price as PHD.
    Scaler option is reported to be good option for connection with single cable and its cost is offset by buying fewer boards.
    What do you think?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Tough call, I think you'd have to see them together to find out which is best for you. I can see where you are coming from here, for sure. What you may find is that even though all other aspects are OK, the PWD does show a bit more solarisation than the PHD. Not wholesale, by any means on either panel, just it's the issue that stands out for me.

7. worz

worz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks guys It all helps, like you Theo I just keep getting these panic attacks and think I should buy something else :(

Where is the best(read cheapest) place to buy one please ?

8. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    worz - like I said above, PQ-wise I've not looked back since buying mine and I'm quite sure that when I do get a scaler I'll not look back from there.

I got mine from AV Sales and can't say a word against them. May not be the cheapest (although not seen anywhere noticeably cheaper than their forum offer) but it is worth paying a premium for the pre- and after-sales care.

9. UglyMoose

UglyMoose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a 42PV500 and sent it back after 4 days, I thought it had an excellent picture, but the fiddly input selection, with all the good inputs PC / Component / HDMI being on a second level of a menu, and the sheer size of the panel (the 50PHD8 is only slightly larger!) I decided to go the PHD8 route.

I have no scaler on it at the moment, but will in the future, but the picture seems to be getting better as the hours go by.

10. stasis

stasis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks for your input Maw, as you said probably best using Kiss principle and try to see PWD8 AND PHD8 action and forget the scaler at this stage.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can always add the scaler later, see how you find it. If you value your wallet don't demo scaler straight away, it looks very very good on component till you see a scaler. 99% of people are very happy with the screen without one till they see it with.