1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth getting a dedicated Subwoofer cable ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dUnKle, Dec 12, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Considering a 3 Meter IXOS dedicated sub cable, is it worth getting a dedicated cable

2. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    whys that then

At present I am using a phono cable which was originally for sound out on my DVD player, it cost around £80, will a dedicated cable be better than this ??

4. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why didn't you put this additional information in your original question? :)

If you are using a cable designed to carry the digital signal from your DVD player to your receiver as a sub cable, then I would expect that a dedicated sub cable would sound better. A good sub cable is designed to carry low frequency analogue signals to your sub, whilst rejecting interference from higher frequencies - especially over longer lengths. A digital cable is designed for a very different task.

If your current cable is a high-quality analogue phono, and you're happy with the sound, then I wouldn't bother changing. That said IXOS 3m sub cables start at about £9 so you could just buy one to experiment.