Is it worth fixing a TV?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by charlaph, Dec 7, 2004.

1. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My old(ish) Sony KV-29X5 broke a few weeks ago, and I've been looking into the possibility of getting it repaired. Having phoned all my local TV repair shops, none of them are willing to divulge any information over the phone and none do a home repair service - they're all asking me to bring it in to their workshop and they'll have a look at it and then give me their diagnosis. This would cost a small amount and they might just tell me it's up the spout.

To be honest it's a lot of hassle and I'm tempted to just take it to the dump and junk it, then get myself something shiny and new. Does anyone have an opinion on getting TVs fixed? - do fixes hold, or is there some sort of unwritten rule saying once a TV breaks once it'll keep on breaking? I understand my Sony service centre will offer a 12 month guarantee on whatever work they do, but not on the whole set, just the work they do - so I could get it back then something else on it could break.

I've had my moneys worth out of it, but it's a pretty good set. If I was going to replace it I'd probably buy a prog-scan JVC 28" widescreen, which would set me back £400. Given a choice between an okay repaired set for a small amount or a new one for £400 I'd take the cheaper option at the moment.

How much should it cost to repair a TV anyway? I have no idea what's wrong with it, when I try and switch on the standby light flashes green 4 times before switching to a contant red - the tube does nothing and all it says in the manual is 'contact your nearest Sony service centre'

I could do without spending money on a new set just before christmas, but if someone can give me any experience of getting TVs repaired, costs, subsequent reliability etc.. then I'd appreciate it.

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's really upto you,i've just fixed my mums 10 year old Sony with around £20 worth of parts.Register on here :-

http://www.euras.com

Then do a search for your model,there will be common problems on there.How old is the TV? It may have SMD parts which would be hard to DIY fix......................

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I'd look at getting a repair quote,it was a decent set in it's day.