Is it worth complaining to SKY?

smartie

Standard Member
Reaction score
:mad: Grrr....Sorry if this is a long winded winge but I'm curious to know if its worth compaining to SKY. Talk about lousy service. My SKY+ box packed up while I was away on holiday and my lodger has to get SKY round to look at it. The box wouldn't record, you couldn't view any recordings, and the box kept going into standby. Anyway the guy comes round says "duh no wonder its packed up , its not plugged into the phoneline...." (never heard that one before).

When he comes back to replace the box the guy:

- Carelessly pulls the AV rack in which the SKY box sits forward so hard it yanks out a number of speaker cables from my AV amp, even snapping the screw-in connection to a banana plug
- Loosens one of the component video connections from the AV amp so the DVD picture loses all colour in the picture

If that wasn't bad enough, he then plonks the new box in and doesn't bother setting ANY of the installer options i.e.

- Left the aspect ratio at 4:3 (er...mate..theres a huge great big widescreen plasma tv on the wall)
- Didn't set the optical output to dolby digital (but he did plug in the optical cable)
- Didn't reconnect the RF2 ouput that was connected to the old box to distribute SKY to the kitchen, nor power up the RF2 outlet.

So my lodger was left with SKY showing the wrong shaped picture, no dolby digital sound on movies, one rear speaker cable broken, the centre speaker cable unplugged and DVDs unwatchable due to the loose fitting component cable and no SKY in the kitchen. :mad:

Is this typical of the service you can expect ? In the end everything was fixable but I was livid when I got back from holiday. Is it worth complaining to SKY - what are they likely to do ?

Smartie

I don't think you'll get any "wrong shaped picture" compensation but for the rest you might get a month's free viewing if you complain properly/to the right person.

Mike.

Just make sure that when you phone sky customer services you ask to speak to a supervisor. When the call centre agent answers the phone just explain that you have a complaint and that you would like to talk to a supervisor. Don't be put off by the agent. When talking to the Supervisor if you do not like the response you are getting then ask to speak to the Call Centre Manager/Director.

You just need to play the chain of command. If after talking to the supervisor/manager you still don't get any joy just explain that you will be taking legal advice for the damage to your goods.

I had sky+ and multiroom installed on november 18th. During the install the installers managed to break my old Grundig digibox(card no longer read). It took me 3 weeks to get sky to admit to it, even after them telling me that the box has NEVER phoned home since install. Even once they admitted it MIGHT have been the installers they seemed to think they were doing me a favor replacing a box that thier installers broke. My advice is to KEEP complaining as Sky have a nasty habit of trying to fob you off with excusses.

smartie: sounds like your lodger had a few parties while you were away and made s**t of the place :D Now he's trying to blaim the poor Sky man.

i work for sky these things usually go through field esculations which send out the installers boss to assess the damage but as it wasnot complained about right away as you were on holiday assuming your lodger didnot call i would say they will probably think you are trying it on ( it wouldnot be anything against you just that people try this all the time so it gets into the trend where evryone is tarred with the same brush) maybe if you phone and say that you've just came back this minute and noticed it they may do something but if you have it fixed you may get a credit on your account to the tune of what you paid to get it fixed. the best thing to do though is when you phone however hard it maybe ..be polite if your polite and chatty you will get helped to the full exstent but if you go on complaining about i want to speak to a manager and being abusive because you maybe ****** off then you dont get the full help that we can offer. beleive me it does work as i have many things for nice customers that arenot really in sky's regulations :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom