Is it worth buying S-VHS?

lasitha

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for VHS recorder to replace my ageing Panasonic.
My choices are:
1) Panasonic NV-FJ780 (Nicam), about £160
2) Panasonic NV-SV120 (S-VHS), about £150

1) has a lot more features than 2), such as a tape library. Both machines were awarded 5 out 5 by What Video? Magazine.

I have a large number of old VHS tapes. Will I get better quality if I play these on the S-VHS machine?. Also, if I record something using the ET mode (i.e. using a standard VHS tape) on the S-VHS machine, can these be played on a normal VHS machine?.

I’ll be getting a DVD recorder towards end of this year. So my main requirements are to be able to play old VHS tapes during the DVD transfer, as well as some temporary recordings of TV programmes (via a Freeview set-top box).

I also have Sony Hi 8 camcorder (analogue). Will I get a higher resolution if I copy recorded material on to a S-VHS tape?.

So is it worth buying the S-VHS machine?.

Thanks for any advice.

Lasitha

1: Old VHS tapes will not be reproduced in a fundamentally better quality on an SVHS machine than on an (otherwise as good) VHS machine. However, there are schools of thought that believe that, if you use an SVideo connection to your TV (or whatever) then minor improvements may be seen over regular (composite) video. And SVideo outputs are only found on SVHS machines.

2: SVHS recordings (whether ET or not) cannot normally be played back on regular VHS machines, unless they have something called quasi-SVHS. Such machines CAN play back SVHS recordings, but only in quality about equal to regular VHS.

3: Copies of Hi8 tapes (if made using an SVideo connection, and on SVHS tape or via ET) WILL be better than if transferred to regular VHS. And true SVHS (using SVHS tape) will be better than ET on a regular tape.

Nigel,

Thanks very much for the quick response. One more question:
to get the best picture quality from S-VHS, do I need to connect to TV using S-Video or can I get the same quality from a (good quality) SCART cable?.

Lasitha

SCART is the physical wire; S-Video is the video format.

You can send an S-Video signal down a SCART connector just fine; you don't need to use one of the miniDIN plugged leads.

If you can find a source for the Panasonic 120 machine then let me know as I'm after one as well. I know John Lewis did have then for £120/130 for a while but have run out nationwide now. :(

Dunno to be honest, I'd expect them to borth to be very good value decks, and just really vary on features.

TBh I'm tempted to buy one of the Humax Freeview HDD recorders that Dabs.com are doing for about £150. they only have one tuner, but if you are only going to use it to record video it's great.

How useful is the TBC on the JVC?. Does it really improve poor quality/home made video picture quality?.

Also, if I record something on a normal VHS tape in using the ‘VHS’ mode on a S-VHS machine, will there be any problem playing this on another VHS player?.

Lasitha

If you just use VHS mode then it should play back on all VHS player, tracking dependant (this goes without saying though).

Originally posted by lasitha
How useful is the TBC on the JVC?. Does it really improve poor quality/home made video picture quality?.

Yes, somewhat. But it is of most effect when copying a fairly poor tape onto another deck. It prevents that nasty symptom whereby the top fifth or so of the picture suffers from random colour flashing.

Originally posted by lasitha
Also, if I record something on a normal VHS tape in using the ‘VHS’ mode on a S-VHS machine, will there be any problem playing this on another VHS player?.
No. This produces a fully standard regular VHS tape, playable in all wotking VHS machines.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom