Is it worth buying an xbox 360 from HK

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Nabs, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have friends going to Hong Kong and are willing to buy an xbox 360 from there - is it worth it? I hear the machines are locked etc.

2. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Dont know what sort of money they are out there but considering some of the incredible deals about in the UK i see no reason for having to go to the trouble of bringing it back and then trying to source english games. Not sure of the exact deal but i'm sure a friend got a premium with 4 games and an extra wireless controller for about £300 from gamestation.

3. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    I'd say it is if...

A) Your getting it REALLY cheap
    B) You dont mind importing your games
    C) Your ok with not always being able to play games sold on the high street.

I have a JAP machine & I'm more than happy with it & I wouldnt change it for a PAL machine if you gave me one for nothing.

I get my games much much cheaper & in some cases games nearly 8 months before the PAL release (Bullet Witch, Project Sylpheed, Senko No Ronde REV X, Blue Dragon, Vampires Rain etc.) also I'll get those games that may never get a PAL release at all (Treasures new Shooter, Idol [email protected], Oneechanbara Vortex etc.)

While some PAL software is region free not everything will be so if your happy with having games stuffed with JAP txt (Winning Eleven X & Bullet Witch I'm looking at you here) that makes some games more difficult to play then I'd say do it oh & one bonus your machin has over mine is that you wont need a stepdown to run it as Hong Kong machines come with UK power packs (run on the same Voltage & 3 Pin Plugs out there)

Live is fine, no problems getting onto UK stuff at all & downloads are fine too.

Only major downside is you wont be able to play any PAL X-box software on there, which wasnt an issue for me as I just kept my old X-box for that anyway, oh and the fact that if it goes wrong & you ring Microsoft to get it fixed there is a good chance they will send back a PAL machine by mistake.

All in all I'd say do it but you need to be comfortable with the importing side of things first.

HTH

Neil

4. whuxy

whuxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    This happened to me, I had a JP 360 imported from HK on release as Pal ones were so scarce here (UK), it went belly up and I ended up with a PAL replacement so had to sell the region protected ones and get PAL/Region free ones instead, so bear it in mind

WH