1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Worth Buying A Tv With Speakers When You Got Your Own

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bigjonnyauk, Jul 26, 2003.

1. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    HI ALL

i have been seriuosly looking at the 36 inch tosh to replace my cheapo 28 inch

but i have a home cinema set up already which i am pleased with and as the tosh comes with the built in sub and surround speakers i feel these would be redundant as i wouldnt even use them or do you think it would be worth using

is there any 36 inch tele out there that dont come with all the surround stuff so i can just connect it to me amp

OHHHHHH but i do love the look of the Toshiba 36ZP38P

2. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 36ZP38P - when it turned up I couldn't think what I was going to do with these four extra speakers I had no use for.

Then I had a genius brainwave - I'm going to hook them up as the Surround Back Left / Right through my VSX 2011 and get 7.1 sound. I know the speakers are pretty naff and arnn't going to be as good as the Kef eggs I'm using in the rest of my system, but it'll be better than nothing.

Other than that, maybe you could use the speakers as door stops? Give them to needy children?

3. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    what is tour tosh like mate is it one of the top ones you reckon i relly like the sexy look of it and have read good reveiws but what do you think and how much you pay for it

4. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very, very happy with the Tosh set. Got it for £2000 at Comet but then got Barclaycard to price match with £1500 at Robertsons Online.

Only two things I would say - definitley demo the set and get your own opinion of the dark patches on the picture. If you do a search on this forum you'll find more info on this. Basically you get a dark smudge on the left & right sides of the picture. Now maybe my set isn't too bad, because I only notice this if the picture is very bright - say all white - or I'm really looking for it. In an average viewing situation you'd never notice it. My girlfriend hasn't ever spotted it. If you decide you can live with this flaw then I'd heartily reccomend the set. I figured the problem wasn't too bad, particularly compared with the problems other 36" sets seem to have. There doesn't seem to be a 36" TV that is problem free.

The other thing I've found is I've had to upgrade all my interconnect cables. I've moved from an old 26" JVC and those extra 10" really show up crappy video cables. So I've had to buy new component cables for the DVD and XBox, plus new SVideo for the PS2 and RGB Scart for my Gamecube. Make sure you factor all this into your budget.

Hope this helps.....