Is it worth buying a rear projection?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by simonfitba, May 12, 2005.

1. simonfitba

simonfitba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My telly just bit the dust but I am undecided what to buy to replace it.

I could get a Toshiba 42WH46 R/P TV for £700 (non DLP of course)

or

a decent 32'' LCD for £1200.

My question is this: Should I take the cheap option and get a bigger screen or try to "future proof" with the LCD?

How much better is the picture quality on the LCD than the rear pro for £500 less?

Any help would be great :thumbsup:

2. StevenJAtkinson

StevenJAtkinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV has also just died and I am in the process of buying new set. Have done plenty of research over the past few days... here is the fruit of that research: Personally, i would not bother with the rear projection TV (unless you intead to watch with the curtains closed all the time), they look awful!. LCD look great, however, they are expencive + small (compared to similar priced CRT TV). Also, is the LCD HD ready? I have decided to go for a 36" CRT - the Toshiba 36ZP48P. This set looks great + the picture is superb! (i imagine that it would be better picture than the RP or the LCD you are looking at). You can pick one up for £790 at digitaldirectuk.com. I will then upgrade to either plasma or LCD in the next 2-3 years when HDTV has had time to establish itself. I checked out all the sets at empiredirect in Leeds, get yourself to a showroom and look at some sets, however, i would recommend the above.

Regards