• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is it worth buying a ps3 from spain

phillyd1981

Hi i'm going to lanzarote soon and i was thinking of buying a ps3 while i was out there is there any pro's or cons compared to if i brought a uk one and is spain the same dvd region code as the uk.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
DVD and blu-ray are the same region. Games are also the same region although as they are region free so that doesn't really matter. My only concern would be the warranty as I'm not enirely sure whether Sony UK would honour the warranty on a mainland Europe console. Ofcourse the other thing you will need to do is either get a UK power cable or an adapter to change the pins on the exisiting cable as it's different in Spain. The voltage should be the same though. Unless the cost difference is significant I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile.

phillyd1981

Thanks also would the online functions be the same as in if i use a uk email addresse would it be no problem on a european machine i thought if for example some one got a us machine imported they would have to sign up with a us email addresse

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Thanks also would the online functions be the same as in if i use a uk email addresse would it be no problem on a european machine i thought if for example some one got a us machine imported they would have to sign up with a us email addresse

That would be fine. You can actually setup various online regional accounts on any region console. For example on a UK console you can setup UK, US, Hong Kong and Japanese accounts. The online play can be region coded in some games so it's best to stick with UK versions of those games you plan on playing online.

danwalton

You might struggle to find places selling games on Lanzarote though. I've been to the Canaries a few times and not found any decent electrical shops. Lanzarote is a spanish island, but it's not spain...

LeeUK

Banned
I bought my PS3 from spain (from the shop "Game" just like we have over here) :)
The box actually says for use in UK / germany / spain / france etc etc just like the UK boxes do. Only difference was the inclusion of a 2-pin power lead.

peterweg

Banned
You might struggle to find places selling games on Lanzarote though. I've been to the Canaries a few times and not found any decent electrical shops. Lanzarote is a spanish island, but it's not spain...

I agree, I couldn't find any shops selling games systems at all in Lanzarote . Its duty/VAT free as well.

R

red-max

I agree, I couldn't find any shops selling games systems at all in Lanzarote . Its duty/VAT free as well.
How much is a PS3 in Spain then? If you can buy it duty and tax free in Lanzarote then it might seem tempting, but be aware that you could well be liable to pay duty and VAT when you bring the PS3 into the UK, since it would be over your personal allowance and most tax-free locations are considered "outside the EU".

LeeUK

Banned
I paid €549 for my PS3 60Gb on launch day (around £375). Was not that much of a huge saving compared to the prices now, but I was out there on launch day and it was a saving of £50 compared to UK prices at the time. (Spain pay 7 or 8% tax if I remember correctly, so should be less in the canaries).

peterweg

Banned
How much is a PS3 in Spain then? If you can buy it duty and tax free in Lanzarote then it might seem tempting, but be aware that you could well be liable to pay duty and VAT when you bring the PS3 into the UK, since it would be over your personal allowance and most tax-free locations are considered "outside the EU".

Many people bring it through without paying tax.

However, as I pointed out, there doesn't seem to be anyone selling video games on Lanzarote. I couldn't even buy an Ipod, they only sold Nano's.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Not worth bothering with IMHO, there a so few retailers of electrical goods on these islands. A few years back a friend bought a digital camera while we were on holiday in Gran Canaria and it broke the 1st day he had it. We then spent the next week going back daily to try and get it replaced and the owner of the shop kept fobbing him off. In the end he had to send the item off for repair when we got back to the UK. Our local Blockbuster were selling the PS3 for £399.99

phillyd1981

thanks everyone for helping me out there i think on reflection it's better to buy a uk machine. Hi ho hi ho it's off to blockbusters i go :thumbsup:

ChrisJMort

don't know where your staying but i went to a games shop in "Tinajo" while out there last october, they were actually selling 360s so they may have them... Tinajo is in NW Lanzarote i believe... near La santa...

padster1970

Standard Member
I've just come back from Tenerife and there were quite a few "tax free" PS3s available. You just had to do the old haggling with the electronics shop owners. The best price I saw it advertised was 538 Euro (approx £366), but undoubtedly this would be the age old thing of "...this doesn't come with the controller etc"

I wouldn't like to try and smuggle it through customs though !!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom