Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is it worth buying a new digibox?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bambi, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Bambi

Bambi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've had my digibox for about 3 or 4 years now. Theres nothing whatsoever wrong with it although I was wondering if I would gain any advantage in terms of picture quality, functionality etc if I purchased a newer box?

I assume my box has all the latest software updates on it and stuff like that but just wondering if theres anything I can do to stop the pixelating when alot of movement is on the screen. I've tried adjusting the aerial and the most signal strength I get is about 50% at best and the quality flicks between 60% to 70%. I have nothing obstructing the dish view so I can't understand why its not at full or does it never get to full strength?

I live in Suffolk so I would'nt consider myself to need a bigger dish but would appreciate anyones thoughts or comments on how to make it better.

Ta.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Just to confirm that you are getting poor pictures as opposed to total channel video/audio breakup and loss of signal?

Pixellation is more a factor of bitrates used by the various broadcasters/channels and not with the actual performance of the dish and digibox. The type and size of the television also has a major impact on how encoding imperfections and over compression is experienced by the viewer.

Half signal strength is a little low especially when bad weather can reduce reception to a point where the tuner does not receive enough data to generate a picture, the quality is reading is fine though.

The dish alignment or LNB positioning might be the reason for the lowish strength reading and it is quite normal to register below 100% on any digibox.

It is quite possible that a new digibox either from the same manufacturer or a different one might handle the reception better than the existing box but there is no way to be sure without giving it a go. There are no practical differences in the specs of the current range of SKY digiboxes, they are built to a SKY supplied spec although there will be minor differences because each manufacturer will use their own component supplies.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice you adjusted the aerial so this is a Freeview digibox is it? What make/model is it. Are you using satellite cable for connection to the aerial? Is the aerial above the roof?

Edit: Ah, but I see you also mention "dish". Now I'm confused.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The aerial reference confused me as well but a couple of dish references made me think he/she had SKY :)

5. Bambi

Bambi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, it is Sky I have rather than freeview.

I noticed the aerial bit a little while after posting. :blush: :oops: