Is it worth buying a DVD writer(PC) yet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bexlee, May 30, 2003.

1. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am aware you would wait forever if you waited for technology to reach its zenith, but there must be a 'sensible' point for entering a certain market (which I know will be different for everyone) considering my parents did buy a Betamax video recorder- a svelte breeze block of a thing!

I would really like to start burning DVDs for home produced films- but given the current format 'war' and the projected price crashes, is the best advice to simply wait a few months before upgrading from my CD Writer?

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    DVD burners are now at the price CD burners were just over a year ago

Panasonic now do a DVD RAM, -RW, -R, CD -R, CD-RW combo for £145 on www.scan.co.uk.

Itll drop in price but not by much.

3. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks nunew33.

These were both on scan.co.uk

LN4959 Panasonic 9571 (x2)-R (x2)-RW CDR(x12) CDRW (x8) CDRead (x32) DVD (x12) £143.06 inc VAT

LN4546 Pioneer 105 (x4)-R (x2)-RW CDR(x16) CDRW (x8) CDRead (x32) DVD (x6) £151.58 inc VAT

Which is best, and do you know if scan supply as OEM or as retail boxes?

Bex

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The Panasonic has the advantage of DVD-RAM compatibility (as well as DVD-RW and DVD-R). This is useful if you have, or plan to get, a set top DVD Recorder. On the other hand the Pioneer is slightly faster at burning. Both are good drives and will give good service.

There really isn't a format war. All three DVD formats will continue to exist until replaced by a high capacity format in three or four years time.

5. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So if you dont plan to get a DVD recorder set top the Pioneer is fine ? looks a good price plus its black to fit into my dell

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Sounds like the Pioneer is ideal for you.

7. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak

So it would be wrong to liken the situation to the VHS vs Betamax we saw with VCRs?

And presumably the replacement in 3/4 years time will have to be compatible with all 3 current formats (shows what I know- I thought there were just 2: '-' and '+' !!

Scan tell me that their Panasonic comes as a retail box, the Pioneer as OEM. What would the Pioneer be missing that I would need to get?

Bex

8. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    cheers mate might have to invest in one are they easy to fit ?

9. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Varies from deal to deal but generally OEM may be a bare drive while retail should include cable , fixing screws, burning software etc.

Some OEM will have some of these though so check what is included.

You may want to buy OEM & choose your own burning software (you've no doubtedly got screws & cables with the CD writer you are changing.)

I use RecordNow Max to burn. Very reliable & easy to use.

DVD-RAM was the original re-writeable format & is great for archiving, having some benefits that the others don't have. It is not as compatible as the others with all the stand alone set top players out there, (Discs are often in cartridges to protect them) but it is more durable.

Pioneer 105 is highly regarded DVD-R drive.

I currently have a Panasonic drive for DVD-RAM & DVD-R with a Sony for DVD+R & DVD+RW

10. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes

Very easy:)

11. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    any one rate the Sony that has all formats on it ?

12. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Never used one but they are popular.

They don't do ALL formats. (No DVD-RAM)

13. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    so if i get the Pioneer I can burn Mpeg onto the DVd and play it on my DVD deck ?

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Tech wise the Sony machine is top notch. It is also a bonus that it supports both DVD-RW/-R and DVD+RW/+R. However those two formats do an identical function and I would suggest once you have the industry standard (DVD-RW/-R) why would you want to burn to anything else? Your paying for something you probably won't use. If you want to get the most flexble DVD drive get the LG or Panasonic 'DVD Multi' format drives that support DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, CD-RW and CD-R.

Yes. Depending on what DVD burner you have (I use Nero although some people have had problems with it) you can burn DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, VCD, SVCD, Audio CDs etc. You can also burn 'Data' DVDs/CDs just like a CD burner.

Couldn't be easier. Undo your case, check the Master/Slave switch is correct, plug it into the IDE cable and power cable and reboot. Done!

15. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not all formats are compatible with all set tops.

If you want navigation & menus like commercial DVDs you are going to need an authoring package of some kind.

You can check out more at www.dvdrhelp.com

You can also check the following links for compatability of your set top against the -R/+R formats.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/resources/compatibilitylist_dvdvideo.html

http://www.customflix.com/Customer/Compatibility.jsp

The brand of DVD-R/+R disc you burn to can also influence the playback quality on set tops greatly.

16. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    looks like my Sony set top is compatible....hmm mater slave switch ? wots dat ? wanders off to spend some more money
    cheers guys

17. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyway, neilo, back to MY thread ;)

I am ready to take the plunge! So am I right in thinking these two are about the same in compatibility / quality, apart from the fact that the Panasonic is DVD-RAM as well which means I would be able to record over the discs using a TV set-top box?

LN4959 Panasonic 9571 (x2)-R (x2)-RW CDR(x12) CDRW (x8) CDRead (x32) DVD (x12) £143.06 inc VAT

LN4546 Pioneer 105 (x4)-R (x2)-RW CDR(x16) CDRW (x8) CDRead (x32) DVD (x6) £151.58 inc VAT

These 2 sound good value, are there any other DVD-RWs in the same mould worth considering?

Thanks for all your comments- really helpful.

Bex

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Yes both units will give you a very satisfactory solution. A DVD-R burnt in either machine will be equally compatible. If DVD-RAM isn't that important for you go for whichever you like and you won't be disappointed.

19. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :eek: :devil: :rotfl:

20. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    DVD RAM has greater flexibility if you are going to use it for PC use as well. As a general tool it is effectively a 4G removable hard disk. And allows read writes at the same time. Now dont shoot me down in flames, but I dont believe the other formats look or act like a hard drive!!!!

If I were buying a new drive I would go for the panasonic purely because the RAM is more flexible for non video use. Speed isnt much of a concern (seeing as my 1.1 athlon takes an age for video editing its all overnight processing as it is!!

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    DVD-RAM has many PC uses - the majority are aimed at the business/corporate use. For instance the random access allows, as you say, it to be used as a HDD. This means it can be used as a 'secure' disk that can locked in the safe overnight. It is also ideal for regular backups as again the random access means automated backup programmes only need replace files that have changed (meaning time backing up is slashed). The protection afforded by the caddy (and virtually all business use DO use the caddy) also means data is as safe as you can get. For instance DVD-RAM is at the centre of the Dataware Workstation:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=3779
    (Check that link today, Friday, or you'll have to look around for it as they change there URLs daily).

For home use video is the best use of DVD-RAM but it also has native drag and drop file properties that are of some use. All things said and done though for home PC use DVD-RW is the best choice whilst DVD-RAM is the best choice for set-top DVD Recording. If purchasing a multi format drive I would suggest getting one that supports DVD-RW and DVD-RAM is a much more flexible option than buying one that writes to DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

For set top DVD-RAM users who convert editted HDD/RAM recordings to DVD-R then DVD-RAM is also the ideal format for a secure backup to put in the cupboard should a problem ever occur with your DVD-R. With some RAM disks available at around £2 each then this is a perfectly viable option now.

22. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After all that, Scan tell me that the Panasonic 9571 is NOT DVD-RAM compatible!

However, DVD-RAM sounds an excellent option for storing pics & movies as back-ups so I will look elsewhere.

Bex

23. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  24. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - I have seen it all over the place as a DVD-Ram, so I have sent them an e-mail earlier in the evening asking them to check. I am keen to get it from them (though v good deal at silicon-group.co.uk) as Scan do theirs as a retail box.

25. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silicon-group will not do mail order.

Looks like I need another DVD drive (another story, although it would have made sense to upgrade to one that reads DVD RAM if I am getting a RAM writer)

Scan have now replaced their stock of 9571s with the Panasonic SW-9581-C (RAM compatible) It would seem to make sense to get a Panasonic 16x48 DVD ROM (Read DVD-RAM also)- £28 on Scan.

Whilst I am attracted to the principle of RAM, I don't know what this RAM cartridge will look like. The SW 9581-C has a normal disc tray and takes a normal DVD blank disc. The RAM disc has to be removed from the cartridge to fit into the tray :confused:

Bex

26. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a DVD RAM drive (pre dvd -r ). The one i have takes caddies but looks like a normal disc tray. So the tray wont give it away